Bile Salt Malabsorption Symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

"Other symptoms include bloating, cramping abdominal pain and excessive wind. Unfortunately, many symptoms of bile acid malabsorption mimic those of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and some IBS patients may actually have bile acid malabsorption."

I'm posting this because at the end of almost every bm I have (regardless of type), my anus feels as tho it's on fire.  My friend who is a MD in neurology mentioned this (have never heard of it).  Does anyone else feel the acid burn?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

hi a couple of months ago i had that feeling for a few days - I actually sat in a bath of epsom salts and it relieved it.  I think i had proctitis (research that) - I had that years ago and it felt the same.

you need to get a small basin to sit in or you can buy a citz bowl from a chemist (pharmacy) (im not sure of the spelling).  

Cheers.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm in Australia and they sell them for about $22 but the good thing you can sit them on your toilet seat so your bottom sits in it. Lol I was a cheap skate and put my butt in a basin but very uncomfortable so highly recommend the sitz bath. My son has piles and used the Epsom salts and found relief too.

Cheers

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I have had BAM since major bowel surgery. The main symptom of bam is diarrhea due to too much bile salt, and therefore water, in your system. It can be very bad, having to go several times a day, often pale or even green (because it's going too quickly through your system). I get periods of nausea, mild to moderate pelvic pain and fatigue after a flare up of symptoms. I have to closely watch my diet, especially insoluble fibre can make things much worse. I have never had any burning though, just because it is an acid, doesn't mean it burns as such. Hope you've found the cause, MP

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No but my dr gave me medication for bile acid absorption whilst waiting for colonoscopy results. I took it for two days and stopped as it made me so itchy !!!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up