biopsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

How is a prostate biopsy done? In my case I had a TURP. Would peices of said prostate that were already resected then be sent to the lab for cancer testing?  I don't know much about this stuff because my dr. never talked to me about it.but I'm curious because another fellow on the site who I am talking to thinks his prostatitis might have come from this.Is it a fairly normal procedure? I have prostatitis, too and wonder if that may have come from the TURP when they resected the prostate and did it from the tissue that was taken out.. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Possibly you mean BPH or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (enlargement) as the reason you were TURP-ed. Yes, the chips would be sent to biopsy and that's mandatory (coincidentally, I am going to collect my biopsy report after being TURP-ed in Aug,  tonightcheesygrin).

But prostatitis is a different disease, as far as I know, and may include inflammation of the prostate for any reason (such as infection). The symptoms may also be similar to BPH. You say you already had TURP and NOW you are having prostatitis? You need to clear this up with yourself first. But even if you really do, it should disappear with medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.