Biopsy results timescale

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I had an upper endoscopy on 3/3/17, so a couple of weeks ago and I was diagnosed with a short hiatus hernia and a tiny ulcer on oesophagus near to stomach. Biopsies were taken and I am awaiting the results. How long do these take normally?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My biopsies are going to take roughly 8 weeks here in the states.
  • Posted

Biopsy results can sometimes take a few weeks. It also depends on where you are. There are too few histopathologists and examination of biopsies can take a while.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming you've been given acid suppressants which will reduce acid levels and permit the ulcer to heal, which can also take a few weeks.

• Posted

Hello

Yeah I am taking lansoprazole. I was taking Omeprazole for 10 years or so then stopped and changed to ranitidine as I wasn't sure it was working the same. I was sent for an endoscopy which found a hernia and an ulcer so biopsies were taken. I am not really worried but didn't realise they took so long. I don't know if stopping the Omeprazole caused the ulcer but if I had not gone to see the Gp then I wouldn't have been for the scope and I wouldn't know about the hernia.. not looking forward to round 2 - have to get the ulcer checked so back to the hospital for that. Thanks for your reply 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.