Bipolar TURP controversies

Posted , 10 users are following.

As I have mentioned in posts elsewhere on this forum, I am considering treatment for my retention and severe nocturia issues and have to make a decision soon - up last night at 4 am with little sleep after - multiple trips to the bathroom. Just can't take this anymore. A bipolar TURP is one option that is available to me and covered by my insurance (Kaiser) and can be done at the local Kaiser hospital, two miles from my house. My other option is a second PAE, or Greenlight. Urolift wouldn't work due to median lobe.

So, on this forum there are two schools of thought about the bipolar TURP. The first is that it's a dangerous and terrible thing to do, and the second is that it works with excellent results, and the post operation effects are minimal. The negative comments seem to be coming from men who have not had this done, and the positive comments are coming from men who have actually had the operation.

Just wanted to point this out as I was reading more TURP comments this morning....

Tom

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So, on this forum there are two schools of thought about the bipolar TURP. The first is that it's a dangerous and terrible thing to do, and the second is that it works with excellent results, and the post operation effects are minimal. The negative comments seem to be coming from men who have not had this done, and the positive comments are coming from men who have actually had the operation.

I agree with your observation and, in my opinion, any comments about a procedure from someone who has not had that procedure are worth what you paid for them.

I had a bipolar TURP 19 days ago and was cleared last week at my 2 week checkup to resume all normal activities in 2 days, i.e., 21 days after the procedure. I spent one night in the hospital and went home without a catheter. Voiding was somewhat difficult and uncomfortable for the first couple of days but by day 4, the urine was mostly clear and the discomfort was mostly gone. My stream is strong (not like a 30 year old but much better than before) and consistently so. No more dribbling if I wait too long (I think this was caused by the median lobe.)

At this point, daytime and nighttime frequency have not improved much. I'm drinking more water during the day and that may be part of the issue. I'm still getting up twice at night. The doctor said things will continue to improve and that it takes 3 months for everything to heal completely. I posted a pretty thorough discussion about 4 days after the procedure if you haven't seen it. It was called "My TURP, part 1."

One downside with Greenlight is that there is no tissue to examine. That may or may not be a concern depending on your PSA. It turned out to be important in my case.

If you want real data (as opposed to the anecdotes here), read clinical trial results on the various procedures. They are readily available on the internet.

Good luck, Tom. Feel free to message me if you want more details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.