bit scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hiya ladies due to have hysterectomy on 7th of january feel bit nervous about how I'm going to feel after expect bit of pain just don't know how long before I can do things eg go shopping back to work ect any advice greatly appreciated Thanks x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello linda. It wouldn't be natural not to feel anxious. Are you having your uterus removed by the laporoscape method. If so it won't be too painful. The main problem is wind and you could feel bloated but the nurses will hopefully give you something to relieve that. Pain relief is part of your aftercare and make sure you ask for something if you are in pain. Being left it pain will hinder your recovery. If you're having an abdominal hysterectomy you may be offered Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA). This gives you control of your pain relief. Ask about it when you hAve your pre op assessment. The length of your recovery depends on which operation you have. The abdominal method obviously takes longer and you won't be allowed to lift for about 8 weeks. Hope that helps but if you know which operation you're having let us know. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks im having laporoscape due to fibroids had my prostop injections to shrink them but my bp has risen so now trying to get that down fingers crossed x
    • Posted

Hi again linda. Feeling anxious won't help your BP so try and relax over Christmas. Having the laparoscopy will be a bit more pleasant than the abdominal hysterectomy anyway. But listen to your consultant and don't rush things afterwards. Take care.
    • Posted

Get drinking Beetroot juice and try Celery both good for high BP .If in UK get juice Organic from Asda cheapest place to buy it .

• Posted

Hi Linda,

As matron says, it depends on how the operation is performed. 

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and ovary removal when I was 39. 

I took recovery day by day. Balance rest with gentle mobilisation. 

Accept all the pain relief offered, so you can be mobile which helps.

I used to visit hysterectomy.org.uk, which was very helpful.

Waiting for the operation is the worse honesty!

Good luck smile

• Posted

I had to have my right ovary removed years ago and last year I  had a c section. I don't know what you have to have done as far as what's being removed but you may feel sore for a few weeks especially the incision area.  It may feel weird when you need to use your stomach muscles for anything like laughing or coughing. Things you never realized you needed your stomach muscles for don't occur to you until after you have a surgery like this. You may feel a hollow feeling where whatever they remove once was but that should subside. Just try to get plenty of rest and do not do strenuous activity and stay out from work the time your doctor gives or longer if you can. Abdominal surgery is a major surgery and you don't want to set yourself back. 

I'll be praying for you and wishing for a successful procedure and that you have an easy time adjusting afterwards. 

Big hugs to! 

Sharlene 

• Posted

I didn't see the previous post before I answered earlier. If you are having it done laproscopically then that will cut your recovery time in half. Best wishes with everything. 
    • Posted

You are right sharcerv, having a laparoscopy is so much better, not as painful and no holding your tummy when your visitors make you laugh 😉
    • Posted

Thank much appreciated advice just doctors don't give sound advice not knocking what they do but it's their job and see it every day xx
    • Posted

I agree with you sharcerv but there are some excellent consultants. 4 years ago I need a vaginal repair. The gynaecologist spent ages going through everything he had to do. Drew diagrams and then gave me his secretary's phone number in case I thought of something later I wanted to discuss. Two days later I received a large envelope with all the information he had discussed along with the pre and post operation care. All consultants in my region are expected to follow the same procedure. If they can do that here then all consultants should follow suit.
    • Posted

Yes,  I hope to happen upon a practitioner like that. You're right,  there are a few good ones left. 
  • Posted

Hi. I had my gallbladder out by laproscopic surgery. It was a breeze, honest? I went home that evening having spent a very comfortable snoozy day in the post op day ward. There was a teensie bit of pain from the incision sites, but easily controlled by brufen and paracetamol. I was really tired for a few days, napping in the afternoons. I went back to my office job the following week. Please dont worry. Tell the anaesthetist to hive you a good shot of pethidine or morphine as you leave theatre! Mine put a freeze spray on my hand before putting the venflon in, I felt nothing. Going back to have a polyp removed soon, and not worrying at all. Good luck and remember to record some good tv programmes or get some box sets to watch when youre recuperating!
    • Posted

I also had my gall bladder removed the same way. Couldn't believe how painless it was. I was offered pethidine post op but didn't need it. 
  • Posted

Hi Linda. My mother (also called Linda) had a hysterectomy in 1975 and she never looked back. Good luck with it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.