biting the bullet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, ive had a long term severe medication phobia, i never take anything ever. Tonigt i had to visit the hospital for an infection. This means meds! Ive taken the first, any hints on how to handle the inevitable freak out?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Just remember that it's to make you better, and if anything were to go wrong it's nothing that can't be helped. Be around people that are comforting while you take the meds until you feel comfortable. smile I hope you feel better! 
    • Posted

Thanks a lot, its silly, I have taken antibiotics in the past and I know I'll be fine. Also allergies I would think would happen pretty quick, I took it an hour and a half ago...
    • Posted

It's not silly, it's understandable. Especially since the tv shows all these commercials on pills being fatal or whatever. All pills have side effects, but if you've taken it before and are fine, then just keep reassuring yourself of thatsmile besides you wouldn't want your infection to get worse, that'll cause 100x more anxiety!
  • Posted

Sorry to read of  your medication phobia.  We in this day and age in the developed world are blessed to have access to lifesaving medications.  Yes, sometimes there are side effects but they can be overcome.  Trust your doctors and don't give into your fears.  If you have an infection you need an antibiotic otherwise you might suffer serious consequences. I hope you feel much better really soon - both medically and emotionally.  Good luck

, bpotmedically and emotionally.  All the best.  

• Posted

Thanks Vicky, yes indeed, the side effects can't be worse than the infection I hope
    • Posted

Thanks for your message and  my  recovery wishes are coming to you from Long Island, New York. 
    • Posted

Ah I hope things are well away over there. Its a cold night in Scotland!
    • Posted

Today, Easter Sunday, was a beautiful sunny day with blossoms blooming everywhere.  We had a ghastly winter therefore Spring is especailly welcomed.  I hope things brighten and warm up where you are.  Scotland is a beautiful country and I fondly remember my visit there many years ago.  
  • Posted

Hello jmcg

fI we are all honest, we would mostly admit we do not like taking meds.  But needs must, and as you go through life things happen which  may force you to take them.  As a young person (many years ago) I was terrified of everything.  Doctors, dentists, needles, tablets, flying,  you name it......

This was when I realised I suffered from anxiety,  It has been with me all my life, but I now go to the Dentist relatively calmly, take tablets, and have flown all over the world.   You will eventually train your mind to accept some things are necessary.  Not easy, but it will come.  Good Luck (from one who knows)!

• Posted

Good advice CruiseLady.  Glad you have overcome your fears.  
    • Posted

Hi, Vicky

Havn't actually overcome my fears, but try to manage them....but today has not been good.  I witnessed something this morning which was very sad, and all day I have felt dreadful (can't get it out of my mind).

So as you see it is past midnight UK time, and I just can't bear the thought of going to bed, with this awful event still on my mind!  However I try to help others on this site, as I have experienced so many things that life has thrown at me......that somehow I have learnt so much about  anxiety.  I feel so concerned about everyone who suffers.

Anyway, Good night....tomorrow is another day! x

• Posted

Tomorrow is another day, and look - we've already made it! So sorry you've had a bad day, it gets so hard to keep positive eh?
    • Posted

You sound like a very compassionate person.  We need more people like you.  Yes, tomorrow is another day and I hope it's a good one for all.
  • Posted

Tell me about it I have been to hospital last night chronic side pain bloods ECG and ct scan for suspected stones but the scan won't get seen until today then sent to GP could be meds or take it away,scared to death no sleep anxiety through the roof.

Is it antibiotics for infection because I am like you wth meds but can take them.

love

Joan

• Posted

Oh Joan thats not good, no one can be of much comfort today you must be teriffied . Hope you are not alone today. Big hugs xx
    • Posted

Jeez i wish you the best, sounds really unpleasant! Yes antibuotics, ive taken 2 and nothing dreadful has happened so i think if it were to it would have already. Hope things turn out good for u!
    • Posted

Thanks Claire,

yes I am rock bottom,so only one way that is up.

hope you are o.k

joan

• Posted

jmcg,

glad you managed to take your meds, Thankyou for your good wishes and wish you well.

joan

• Posted

Hi Joan, carrying on climbing you know it will pass, if only a little. I have had a better day. back to work tommorrow so i expect tommorrow morning will be grim. I just wish my brain would rest, it really gets me down.. thoughts rushing round like a washing machine xxxxxx lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.