Bleeding 7 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and posterior repair 7 weeks ago. I was discharged from hospital after two nights and told that I did not need a follow up appointment. The last 7 weeks have been pretty awful, I have had a severe urine infection requiring two different lots of antibiotics (caused I’m sure, by having to have my catheter replaced because it wasn’t draining, and lots of people tweaking it to try to get it going).

I have been feeling unwell and had quite a lot of tenderness, especially after any kind of activity. I went back to work after three weeks (sitting down all day) because I am on a zero hours contract and can’t manage without the money. I haven’t done any lifting or bending and have really been very careful.

The reason for my post is that after a continuous discharge since the operation that hasn’t really settled down, I suddenly had a big loss of bright red blood during the night last night. I rang my G.P.at 8am this morning and went in to see her. She examined me and said that she couldn’t see clearly because there was so much blood, but that the whole area is very inflamed and red, and there is a clear source of bleeding high up but she couldn’t work out exactly what is going on. She took a swab and prescribed antibiotics (my 3rd lot) and said that she would contact the consultant to both ask for advice and request an appointment for me.

I haven’t heard anything all day, and expect that she is waiting to hear from the consultant, but I am feeling pretty terrible. I have continued to bleed (bright red, quite heavy) and am very tender around my tummy. I am due to go to work tomorrow but I just want to lie down and am really even struggling to stand up straight.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me or have any advice? I’m feeling so tearful this evening.    

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Florin you probably won't want to hear this but you went back to work far too early. I know it's difficult and needs must but following any repair you need to rest because it's major surgery and a rectocele repair is probably the one that takes longest to recover from. There's information on the Genitourinary home page under Useful Resource that backs up what I've said. You need to see your consultant, only he will know what is wrong. It could be an infection and if it is you should see some improvement in 48 hours.

• Posted

Hi

It is awful when you are in pain and unsure what is happening. Matron Is right that you need more time off work. Do you have a manager that is understanding.? Maybe you could speak to them?

If it gets worse and your GP cannot contact the consultant, ask her to send you to the Emergency Gynae Clinic at the hospital you had the surgery in as they will be able to access your notes. If it was on NHS? They normally run these clinics every day. You could also go to the A&E at the same hospital. Please know that if it gets worse you need to get medical attention. You are not on your own on this forum so feel free to talk anytime. Please let us know how you get on. Do you have any help at home?

• Posted

Hi Florin

I'm so sorry that you're feeling like this. Yes I agree that your gp was probably waiting to hear back from the consultant. I think with the increased bleeding and how ill you feel, you might need to go to A&E tomorrow and that way they will bleep the on call gynae doctor to come and review you.

I know it must be so hard not to go back to work, if you need to financially, but rather than telling you you shouldn't have done that which is far Tim helpful, the most important thing is that you get seen and get well.

All the best, please let us know how you get on,

Sue x

• Posted

Sending hugs from NZ! Sad you are so poorly and for me, shocking that you were told no need for any follow-up. If it was me, I would be off to A/E but I don't know what country you're in or how things work there. Please keep on at them to get the attention you need. I've got everything crossed for you that it is infection that will respond to the AB's you've been given. I wish I could help you. From Robyn

• Posted

It's becoming more common in the UK for ladies not to have a follow up with their Urogynaecologist but the care is passed onto the GP. I don't agree with it but it's been agreed nationally to allow consultants to see more patients. Many GP's now have the extra training and women are requested to see their GP before returning to work. 

• Posted

Thank you for your kind replies, it is helpful to find people who understand and are supportive. I saw the consultant yesterday, and he confirmed that I have an infection and quite a lot of granulation tissue. He also said that he believes the bleeding was caused by a haematoma and exacerbated by the infection. The antibiotics are really working, because I feel much better today and the pain and bleeding had more or less stopped. I have to take the antibiotics (Metronidazole) for 4 weeks.

Just to say something about returning to work, I would have loved to take much more time off work and to be able to rest more fully. The reality for me, however, and I'm sure for a number of other people, is that I just can't afford to take long peridos of time off. Although my consultant said that I should take off as much time as I could, he completely understood that it was diffcult for me, and was aware that I was returning after 3 weeks. It's a balancing act for me between health and keeping my head above water financially, and it's really not easy.      

• Posted

I fully understand about you needing to go back to work and I think I did say that however I'm pleased you've seen your doctor, I thought it could be an infection. I presume you were told about absolutely no alcohol with Metronidazole? A friend of mine was prescribed it and obviously knew not to drink but she ate a dessert with a tiny amount of kirsh in it without realising and she vomited for 24 hours!!  Take care Florin and keep in touch with us, letting us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Florin,

?So pleased that you got seen and that you're feeling better with the antibiotics.

?Please don't feel you need to justify your return to work. Of course we all know that's not ideal, but for some people it's a necessity, and as I said on my previous reply, I feel that people telling you that you returned too soon is just not helpful to you.

?Good luck with your continued recovery, and take things as easy as you can.

?Best Wishes,

?Sue x

• Posted

I don't think anyone was telling Florin not to return to work. They were only offering advice which is normal on this forum. Everyone has each other's best interests at heart. I don't think that comment was particularly helpful and other ladies on this forum who have a lot of experience could also think the same.

• Posted

Actually Matron it was your original comment I was referring to, as you well know. If you read back, the first thing you said to Florin was "You won't want to hear this but you went back to work far too early".

The poor woman was in pain and distress and did not need to be ticked off like this!

?I'm sorry but I have read many of your comments on this forum, and whilst most of them are helpful, some of them come across quite rude. I have bitten my tongue thus far, but now you are trying to make out MY comments are unhelpful, you have forced me to mention it.

Please do not infer that my comments are unhelpful when I have always tried to give useful information and am always kind in my responses.

• Posted

I did say needs must if you read it correctly, and I'm sorry if you find I'm rude but I only give factual, researched advice. If you find that's rude then please don't read my responses. I get a lot of personal messages from ladies thanking me for my advice and support.

• Posted

The factual researched advice is fine and as I said most of it is very helpful. But I just feel bad for the ladies that you tell off, as shown. Also the lady that said she was a secretary and you went on to correct her spelling! Just unnecessary and a bit unkind. And when you corrected me when I advised someone to be careful with codeine as it can constipate, which is also evidence based.

Maybe read through your replies before you send them to make sure they sound ok.

I do know a lot of your advice is gratefully received and I'm not disputing that.

Have a good afternoon.

• Posted

If you feel my responses are rude then by all means report the posts to Alan the Emis Moderator. As for telling ladies off I'm at a loss to what you mean, the sane with correcting someone's spelling. In that case I can only presume I didn't understand what someone is asking. Please don't tell me to read through my replies, I'm 63 not 6. I reiterate if you aren't happy with my responses please report them. I now intend to end this discussion because we are moving away from what this forum is about.

• Posted

I ended it with "Have a good afternoon ", which was meant in a kind way.

• Posted

Well I will say goodbye (in a kind way). I don't want to cause offence to anyone so I will continue my work for the NHS but leave the forum.

• Posted

Hi Matron

There is really no need for you to leave the forum because as you said, you provide invaluable as vice to women, that has never been in question. I just took exception to what you said.

Once I have sent wine private messages to ladies I have met in here, it is I won will leave the forum.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Please don't. I don't need support anymore and I've made the decision not to receive updates for this forum/website anymore so I will not be visiting the forum however  I will continue to liaise with Alan (Emis Moderator) regarding information for the Genitourinary home page. I think it's more important ladies who have had or are due to have prolapse repair continue to support one another rather than have some rude, bossy Senior Nurse giving medical/nursing advice.

• Posted

Hi Matron

Please do not leave the forum as there are a lot of women on here including myself that need and appreciate your advice. We can all support each other with advice but we all have our own experiences of how we heal and how treatment has gone for each of us. Sometimes it does not feel so scary if we know you are here providing clinical advice and can explain things to us. This is invaluable when worried women are at their wits end. Sometimes people say things that may come over as being stern etc but it is not meant in that way and each person will take it differently. Please do reconsider. It would really be a great loss to all of us.

Angela

• Posted

Well that's a shame as your advice, as we've said is very helpful to a lot of ladies. The decision is yours but I still intend to leave. So you won't have me picking you up on anything (that's said with a smile ?)

I guess sometimes it's hard to gauge the tone of an email.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.