Bleeding excessively

Posted , 5 users are following.

My mom bleeds excessivly, like used 3 pads and has a tampon in and still leaks. I do not think this is normal and she does not have a lot of money or insurance. Is this a normal amount? This is a daily occurance with her and she doesnt even want to leave the house anymore. She is 51 years old. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I understand that lots of women bleed excessively, but the cause of her bleeding could be something serious.  I'd suggest that you call Planned Parenthood, if you're in the US, and ask for a referral to a clinic that could see her.  

All this bleeding may be leaving her iron deficient (anemia) and could result in other more serious problems.  She needs to get this checked out, if only for her peace of mind.

Best of luck, and let me know how she does!

• Posted

Hi, AmandaI had this when I was about 52. It happened about a year before my period stopped. It was terrible and I had to go to outpatients at the hospital one evening. It calmed down a bit over the next year but I had always had heavy periods anyway. I think perhaps your mum will finish having periods pretty soon. Tell her not to get too stressed, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My best regards to you for caring and to you mum.
  • Posted

Hi there

I really feel for your poor mom.

I had the exact same problem. I had huge fibroids. I had 5 operations 7 years ago to get rid of them and then last year they had all come back and I had to have a full hysterectomy. I was 45.

I presume from your comments that you are in the States? Your mom needs to get this sorted out. I had to have two blood transfusions due to blood loss.

Good luck.

• Posted

Do you have a local woman's resource center to inquire about where to go for care at low cost?  Do you have a Planned Parenthood in your area?  Last resort a free clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.