Bleeding - how much is normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.  I've had a look at the previous questions in the forum and couldn't find any about bleeding.

I'm 1 week post op after an Anterior Repair and Hysterectomy.  Bleeding has been very light so far (pale pink) and I was beginning to think it would be ending soon.

Sorry about this being TMI

But today it's come on heavier and a couple of times I thought my wee contained blood because it was red in the toilet. (So I caught it in a plastic cup just to make sure and it's definitely not in my urine).  

I've had a large BM just now and am bleeding dark blood for the first time. It's frightened me a bit in case I've done myself some damage.  I remember the nurse who discharged me warned that I could expect some clots but I've not had anything like that so far.

Can you tell me your experiences please.  Thanks so much.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello claire. Dark blood usually indicates that it's old blood but it does depend how dark. Is it more brown than red? 
    • Posted

No it's bright red.  that's why was so surprised.
    • Posted

If you'd had a posterior repair and started to bleed after having your BO I could have understood but it is fairly unusual in an anterior repair and hysterectomy. However the pressure when you had your BO could have pressed on some internal sutures and caused them to bleed but it is extremely unlikely you have done any harm because the sutures are strong. It is probably very likely to settle but you need to rest tonight with your feet up, perhaps go to bed but as I always say if you're worried and it doesn't settle speak to your GP or the nursing staff on the ward if that's the advice they gave you when you were discharged.
    • Posted

I just called the ward at the hospital and the nurse said it sounded quite normal to her to have a bleed a week on from the operation - almost like a period.

I'm to keep an eye on it and call again if it gets worse.  

It's really worried me as I don't really understand where so much blood could be coming from.  There was hardly anything for a week and I'd begun to think I was healing nicely.

• Posted

As you have had a hysterectomy the blood can only be coming from the pelvic cavity but try not to worry and as I said before try and rest as much as possible. As long as you aren't in pain (more than usual) and the blood doesn't smell offensive then it is likely to be normal as the nurse said. Try not too worry.
  • Posted

I bled like a normal period for over a week which slowed down to brown and now yellow discharge (4.5 wks post op). I do remember it slowed then got heavier at one point. I didn't have any clots but quite a bit of bright red blood. I don't think any of us should worry about 'tmi', it's all important stuff to us all. X
  • Posted

Hi Claire I had post & ant repair plus hysterectomy 10 weeks ago.

i bled for 6 weeks (which I thought was never going to stop) it then turned to a brown discharge and then to a creamy discharge (which consultant told me I'd get as stitches dissolve) I didn't get any clots but as I noticed the stitches come away (not everyone sees these) I did notice my bleeding/discharge increased slightly.

It has now all stopped (10 weeks post op) and I am finally pad free 😀

I used (and still am) lactulose to keep stools soft which really has helped.

rest and take good care as still early days and good luck with the rest of your recovery xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.