Bleeding post op?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hiya, this is my first post on here. I had a bilateral chevron osteotomy last Saturday (I'm now 8 days post op) and I'm finding the pain pretty bearable. I had to have my bandages changed 4 days post op because of leakage on my left foot which smelt awful! Now my right foot is oozing blood through the bandage. Is it normal to still be bleeding 8 days post op? The clinic is closed on Mondays but i'll be phoning Tuesday. I guess I'm just looking for someone to put my mind at rest a bit! I'm resting with my feet up for most of the time, and pottering about a little as the consultant and physio told me to. The stitches feel sore but not unbearably so, there is no excessive heat or other signs of infection. Any comments gratefully received!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

mand135, I never had post surgery bleeding and was told that if I did to contact my Doctor immediately. That you can see the bandages is a plus as it does not appear you have a molded cast. Besides elevating your feet were you advised to apply ice compresses for 20 minutes once every hour? This helps with the swelling which puts pressure on the sutures.

Definitely, call your physician Tuesday and see them straight away.

• Posted

I am now 11 days post op . I had lots of bleeding on second day and had to have plaster cast and bandages changed and steri strips put on. I was told to keep it well elevated to help stop the bleeding. I would have thought it shouldn t be bleeding after 8 days. Can you call an A and E dept for advice? Good to hear you are coping pain wise. Let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply, no, i wasn't told anything about ice :-/ You are right, I don't have a moulded cast. I'm not now due back at clinic until the 28th, so it's a long time if something isn't right. I'll definitely phone on Tuesday and get some advice at least. I could maybe get to see my local nurses again on Monday, but part of me thinks I'm better waiting until Tuesday to speak with the department who performed the op.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy

If it were me I would see the nurse tomorrow and not wait until Tuesday if it is still oozing when you wake up. They can either put your mind at rest and say ther's nothing to work about or escalate to a doctor if necessary- you don't want to mess about with the risk of infection.

I had both my feet done 12 days ago and haven't bled or oozed at all but had I done I would have phoned somebody ASAP.

• Posted

Just one more day to go until the bandages come off and I can see what my post op feet look like! Am a bit scared about what I will see - have the bumps gone, are my toes straight and how big the scars will be. Anyone give me a heads up re what to expect? Will I have another dressing or will my foot be 'naked'? I don't have a plaster cast just what feels like a plastic splint on the worst toe and enough bandage to make an ancient Egyptian proud. Presumably I have to wear the Velcro shoes still - I must write a list of Q's to ask the consultant
  • Posted

Hi Lindsay, I had a scarf osteotomy nearly 6 weeks ago and have been posting on the related forum '~Bunion Op in December' - several of us have reported on our progress from the first week post op, to the two week 'unveiling' and up to now, starting to wear a shoe again. Have a look at the forum, and good luck with healing!

Mand135 I hope the bleeding has been stopped - NONE of us posting on the other forum had any real post op bleeding.

Take Care of yourselves!

• Posted

Thank you all. The nurse today says it's because I'm trying to do too much and I am to rest more. Hope you all have speedy recoveries!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.