Bloating/Gas/Upper RUQ Abominal &back pain/major anxiety HELP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone can relate. I am a 28 years old male. For the past three years I have been having issues with my abdominal region and more recently my back and leg. It all started with Upper right quadrant (right under ribs) and lower right quadrant pain. Occasional upper mid abdominal pain. My stool changes regularly from normal, to diarrhea, to constipation. Currently I am suffering chronic constipation and upper to mid right back pain. over the last three years I have had 2 days of my chest, 2 CT - 1 with and 1 w/out contrast, and a CT of my chest. everything is coming back normal. I had a swollen lymph nodes in my right groin. During evaluation they discovered a hernia. During the repair they attempted to biopsy the lymph node but it "fell apart". A second lymph node popped up down there a year later including balanitis (unusual if circumcised and I am cleanly). The lymph node was biopsied and nothing was found it was deemed reactive. I found it interesting this happened after the hernia repair (repaired with mesh). I have had pain down since the repair. since then my digestion has been out of whack as mentioned before. I do not have pale white stools but the color does vary, less often. the normal brown and more on the light side. Occasionally they float and are are often loose. They tested my stool for pancreatic function and it was fine. My total Bile is slightly elevated but not of concern according to my doctor. I have naturally high cholesterol and thought the medication was causing me issues so am I currently taking a break from them. I now also have pain in my right leg often behind my knee and in my calf, but it does come and go.. mot sure it is related and does not appear swollen. I have multiple little lumps in both of my groins but primarily on my right thigh. This has only been felt but not scanned, the doctor says they are lipomas. I have never been overweight. I am 5 10 and 165 lbs. as a result I am a nervous wreck as mo one can pinpoint the issue. I was diagnosed with IBS and have been doing my best to manage my food intake, but the gas and flatulence is unrelentless no matter what I do. I spend many nights googling and am now learning that has to stop. for a while I thought I had lymphoma, then Abdominal Aneurysm (my abdomen on left side near ribs beats at the same rate as my heart almost all of the time) now pancreatic cancer. I am going mad! My blood pressure is now consistently at 140/80 which is high for my build and activity level. I exercise every day, but I do work a very high stress desk job, recently purchased a house, and have a baby on the way. I have an ultrasound scheduled next week to review my liver, gallbladder, and pancreas (if it can be seen). I want to live my life and be happy about all of the great things going on but I am having trouble. I think I have developed major health anxiety, but the pain, lumps, and physical changes are real! I am also worried I have a blood clot in my right leg but I can't tell. I plan to see my PCP asap to discuss the symptoms in my leg. i am so exhausted any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

also all blood counts are good, cholesterol is currently within normal limits, and I have been tested for every STD nothing has come back. Ask any questions you have.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Johnny,

It is apparent that alot has been going on with you. I hope God heals you in due time. Pray about it.

I'm female, 5'6, 136 lbs. A year ago I had an onset of burping with neck pains. Doctors said it was Gerd right off the bat. They have prescribed Omeprazole and Ranitidine time and time again. I was scheduled for an endoscopy which I did not do cause I felt better by that time. Unfortunately, the symptoms returned and they were harsh. My mid back has been burning. Heat is exuding from it. Within a matter of two days the burning spread all about my body. It would come and go. Like you, I am constipated sometimes, I don't force myself. My heartbeat feels irregular sometimes, my stomach has a dull discomfort at times too. I feel random pain in my right leg as well. I keep believing it's a clot which leads me to take aspirin ( just in case). I have become paranoid.Doctors are yet to figure out the problem. I found METOCLOPRAMIDE to be of assistance. 1 and 1/2 days into taking it, the burning has subsided. Try this. It might help.

Take good care and enjoy life while you're at it!

• Posted

Thank you for responding! At times it is comforting to know you are not alone. is your right leg pain behind your knee or your calf by chance? Also have you ever had it checked out? I have begun taking a daily aspirin. I will look into the suggested medication. i had neck pains, luckily that has subsided. I. went swimming with the family today. It was a good time.

• Posted

The pain was in my sheen actually and the burning would be anywhere along my leg. I'm happy you don't have neck pains and continue enjoying your life. Don't allow paranoia to consume you.

• Posted

Anxiety is getting the best of me again. bleh. I posted an update for everyone to see. Thank you again for responding to me.

• Posted

Lymph nodes have been known to become cancerous. A CT scan can confirm. Medication is available to reduce your blood pressure daily to below 120/ 80 which is normal.

• Posted

IBS can be triggered by abdominal surgery and stress will make IBS worse. Give up googling symptoms and accept your IBS. Try distraction techniques and relaxation therapy.

• Posted

Thank you, Pippa. I is the other symptoms that bother me the most. Such as the right leg pain, specifically behind the knee and in the calf. This is as new issue and has been there for about 30 days now. I must admit it has been difficult to accept my IBS diagnosis.

• Posted

Sometimes you can get joint pain with IBS or it could be a muscle strain from doing something vigorous or the way you have been lying on it at night. Sometimes joint pain just starts up with no rhyme or reason. I have aches and pains most of the time until I go to Italy where the heat gets rid of the pain. Worrying can also cause aches.I found accepting my IBS diagnosis very easy indeed accepting it has helped to keep it at bay.Try painkillers for the leg pain and try resting it. Try distraction techniques such as a hobby to take your mind off your symptoms. Muscle strains can take up to eight weeks to heal, so try not to worry. I pulled my shoulder and it took exactly eight weeks to get better,

• Posted

Thank you, Pippa. I will try not to think about it for a while. I put strings back on my guitar and will be picking that up again. I am going to do as you suggest and accept my diagnosis, I just wish I knew how to turn the anxiety off when it flares badly. I am also trying out a diet of fruits, nuts, and vegetables for 30 days. Clearly occasional pizza is not working for me, but work provides every once in a while! I feel calmer. thank you again.

• Posted

Try relaxation therapy too. I found a good way of controlling my anxiety. I tell myself if I get too anxious I will flare up my IBS, so in an effort to avoid a flare up, I avoid stressful situations. Try an anti spasmodic before the stressful situation begins or before you start feeling anxious.This is an effective way of stopping a fkare up before it begins.

• Posted

Hi Johnny,

Have you thought about trying acupuncture for the aches and pains? I find it extremely useful for anxiety too. I wouldn't recommend taking pain killers daily because that strips the gut lining and won't help if you've got IBS. I would try more natural remedies like turmeric and chamomile which calms inflammation in your gut and joints.

• Posted

I find natural remedies do nothing for my IBS, but painkillers do help. For my aches and pains warm weather gets rid of the pain. Acupuncture is not as natural and straight forward as you think. It can cause nasty side effects including anxiety. It has similar unwanted reactions to deep tissue massage which left me highly anxious, and I was in pain and extreme fatigue for nine months. It actually led to my IBS because the treatment stressed me out. Natural remedies are not all they seem.

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into the recommended treatments and also discuss with my doctor. I will be seeing him again soon. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Pippa, thank you for your opinion as well. I have tried pain meds and they have not been as helpful. Oddly enough the warm weather is not helping me. My right leg continues to throb. My GP completed an examination of my right leg and said he did not believe I had a blood clot which was nice. He did not have an explanation for the slightly swollen vein behind my right knee but was not concerned. I also had an ultrasound of RUQ done recently. I just realized they never shared results about my general billary ducts, liver, or pancreas, or veins or anything.. so I assume that means everything appeared fine there. However, he did say I have sludge in my gallbladder and questionable gallstone. I said what does questionable mean, he said it may just all be sludge but could possibly be a gallstone. So my head and anxiety have taken me back to my pancreas. I have the persistent right back pain, the swollen vein in my right leg, which I believe is called thrombosis if there is actually a blood clot, fluttering abdomen which is consistent with my heart beat, and slightly palpable lymph nodes along the left side of my neck. Now all of this could be coincidental. I have been recommended to see a surgeon for evaluation of possible gallbladMy GP completed an examination of my right leg and said he did not believe I had a blood clot which was nice. He did not have an explanation for the slightly swollen vein behind my right knee but was not concerned. I also had an ultrasound of RUQ done recently. I just realized they never shared results about my general billary ducts, liver, or pancreas, or veins or anything.. so I assume that means everything appeared fine there. However, he did say I have sludge in my gallbladder and questionable gallstone. I said what does questionable mean, he said it may just all be sludge but could possibly be a gallstone. So my head and anxiety have taken me back to my pancreas. I have the persistent right back pain, the swollen vein in my right leg, which I believe is called thrombosis if there is actually a blood clot, fluttering abdomen which is consistent with my heart beat, and slightly palpable lymph nodes along the left side of my neck. Now all of this could be coincidental. I have been recommended to see a surgeon for evaluation of possible gallbladder removal and an abdominal CT. I am hoping the gallbladdeMy GP completed an examination of my right leg and said he did not believe I had a blood clot which was nice. He did not have an explanation for the slightly swollen vein behind my right knee but was not concerned. I also had an ultrasound of RUQ done recently. I just realized they never shared results about my general billary ducts, liver, or pancreas, or veins or anything.. so I assume that means everything appeared fine there. However, he did say I have sludge in my gallbladder and questionable gallstone. I said what does questionable mean, he said it may just all be sludge but could possibly be a gallstone. So my head and anxiety have taken me back to my pancreas. I have the persistent right back pain, the swollen vein in my right leg, which I believe is called thrombosis if there is actually a blood clot, fluttering abdomen which is consistent with my heart beat, and slightly palpable lymph nodes along the left side of my neck. Now all of this could be coincidental. I have been recommended to see a surgeon for evaluation of possible gallbladder removal and an abdominal CT. I am hoping the gallbladder issue, IBS, and anxiety are my issues and not pancreatic cancer. My stools are often light, not white clay colored but light brown almost yellowish. They vary in consistency which I know is an IBS symptom as well.r issue, IBS, and anxiety are my issues and not pancreatic cancer. My stools are often light, not white clay colored but light brown almost yellowish. They vary in consistency which I know is an IBS symptom as well.der removal and an abdominal CT. I am hoping the gallbladder issue, IBS, and anxiety are my issues and not pancreatic cancer. My stools are often light, not white clay colored but light brown almost yellowish. They vary in consistency which I know is an IBS symptom as well.

• Posted

Pippa my message pasted over and over. this is what I actually said when describing my problems after thanking you for sharing your insight.

My GP completed an examination of my right leg and said he did not believe I had a blood clot which was nice. He did not have an explanation for the slightly swollen vein behind my right knee but was not concerned. I also had an ultrasound of RUQ done recently. I just realized they never shared results about my general billary ducts, liver, or pancreas, or veins or anything.. so I assume that means everything appeared fine there. However, he did say I have sludge in my gallbladder and questionable gallstone. I said what does questionable mean, he said it may just all be sludge but could possibly be a gallstone. So my head and anxiety have taken me back to my pancreas. I have the persistent right back pain, the swollen vein in my right leg, which I believe is called thrombosis if there is actually a blood clot, fluttering abdomen which is consistent with my heart beat, and slightly palpable lymph nodes along the left side of my neck. Now all of this could be coincidental. I have been recommended to see a surgeon for evaluation of possible gallbladder removal and an abdominal CT. I am hoping the gallbladder issue, IBS, and anxiety are my issues and not pancreatic cancer. My stools are often light, not white clay colored but light brown almost yellowish. They vary in consistency which I know is an IBS symptom as well.I hope my issue is IBS, and anxiety are my issues and not pancreatic cancer.

• Posted

Thank you Pippa. I plan to just follow doctor direction. Thank you for the reinforcement and responding.

• Posted

Hi Pippa. I have appreciated your experience and have a question. I have been diagnosed with IBS but have almost no pain or cramping below the belly button. Although this does occur ocassionally, often when I need to go but can't due to constipation. The pain is more the upper abdomen about 3 inches from the navel and to the right all the way to the ribs. I am not sure if that is where Gallbladder is. I often feel pain directly to the righ of the naval (when looking down at your own abdomen) I am working on food triggers but it does appear fried foods cause me issues, and some vegetables. Today I ate lo mein type noodles as I have before. I have had non stop gas and burping, this seems to happen almost every time I eat but especially after any kind of fried food, which I have been avoiding in general. I am going to start a food journal but curious if you ever experience this too.

• Posted

Pain can occur just about anywhere with IBS and everyone experiences it differently with different levels and types of pain. I used to have problems with fatty and fried foods because of my acid reflux and it occurred long before my IBS started. This reaction is now a lot better, although I still have some trouble with fats which cause me to vomit. Salame is the worst offender For some reason, some fats just lie in my stomach undigested until they are vomited up later.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

thank you for your continued advice. I never feel nausea or vomit, thankfully! I absolutely hate vomiting. Question with your IBS do you have undigested food particles? I have been passing better formed stools for the past few days, still light in color but better. they are not yellow but a very light brown where for a while they were not formed and were yellow.. however I am always seeing the undigested food.

• Posted

I've never had undigested food in my stool; it was only pain, nausea, constipation, loose stools or diarrhoea I had. I haven't had a flare up in a long time because I try to avoid stress as much as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.