Blocked ear from this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 34 and at 17 was diagnosed with GERD. Anyway. For the last 3 years I often lose my voice, get fluid in my chest that needs coughed out and sore throats along with the constant need to swallow and just that thick feeling in my throat. In July I woke up one morning to a headache and a blocked inner ear and that horrid feeling of pressure. I automatically assumed it was my ETD but after over a month went by it was still there. Was prescribed a water pill, steroid by my ent. After 2 months is finally went away and afterwards I had he silent reflux flare up. Last week I noticed my ear getting that way again and had yet again another "silent reflux flare up" 

I'm curious, could these things be related? Anyone else have this issue?

Also hoping to get some advice on how to make this silent reflux be a bit more bearable. If my pcp didn't point it out to me, I would just have continued thinking I got sore throats and colds all the time. 

She precsibed me the usual stuff but does that even work? I read somewhere that it doesn't. 

I did eat pasta and I'm assuming that's what caused this flare up so I'm done with all saucy stuff becuase these flareups are miserable. How do you help yourself feel better?

Thanks all!

Ashley 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley

I have suffered with GERD/Silent Reflux for over 2 years for which I take PPI's and try to eat healthily. About 6 months ago. I started having problems with my ears for which I had a hearing test with no problems showing. I now have Tinnitus in one ear and having MRI scan next week. ENT Dr did suggest the possibility that Gerd and ear problems could be related in some way so maybe this is the same for you.

• Posted

I use to suffer dreadfully with sore throats and put it down to my job which involved a lot of talking. Your symptoms sound so familiar. Then I was prescribed a PPI for my reflux, I then noticed that the sore throats stopped. 

Rfekix can eaily reach the throat and you need to stop that. My body naturally makes too much acid, so I need a high dose PPI to manage it, but it works brilliantly as others have said and I am symptom free. Get your dr to do an eight week ppi trial, but you may need to increase the basic dose. Forget all the scare stories about ppi, acid up the throats is doing way too much damage. 

• Posted

I too have acid reflux (silent) and globus and tinnitis with full feeling in ears. Neck bothers me as well. T. is in both ears continuous. Some days. Louder than others. 2nite, pretty bad. Whole head feels like it's buzzing..acid better. I'm guessing I have low acid. Ppi's didn't work so I started taking organic apple cider vinegar and seems better. Wish I could say the same 4 my ears..; (

• Posted

Ppi can help loads but it also has the possibility to damage.

One needs to listen to the doctors and own body.

I thought my body was making too much acid too. For over a yr if i cut down my meds Id get ill.

Then i felt worse. Tried halfing ppis and if uncomfy I had apple cider vinegar in water. It worked.

4 weeks on and im only on 1 tablet and feeling better.

I had too much acid going to not enough.

Everyones diferent.

Ppis are powerful and can save lives.

However one should gently try to get off them jf they can. They do cause havoc in the body whether we do or dont like it.

• Posted

What havoc do PPI cause in the body? I have been taking them for 10yrs and no problems here. 

i absolutely don't want cancer of the oesophageas which the ppi is preventing because it stops the acid coming up, pray tell, what is worse that cancer, ppi hasn't killed anyone yet. 

• Posted

Just accept that we all have diferrent medical issue.

Uve found what works for u and thats great.

I stopped refluxing so obviously attempted to reduce meds. It is possible to get off them.

Some ppl need them for life some just as a one of help.

The havoc they caused with me was tiredness dizziness and loss of hair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.