Blog- hip replacement anterior 3 weeks ago March 2017

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone- I am new to the forum here, but I have been keeping a blog, for myself since my surgery on March 2nd. This helps me track my progress, and in turn, this helps me with my mental status. 

Hip replacement  total left, anterior approach

March 2nd. Day of surgery.  Morning surgery, general anesthesia. PT came late afternoon and walked me with a walker. I have an IV and a urine catheter. Not too much pain. 

March 3rd post op day one

Had a great Night of sleep. in the hospital.  Pain well-controlled I've been up walking twice and making good progress. Physical Therapy will be here two times this morning also. Will be headed home today later. Anterior hip replacement is the way to go I am thinking.

March 4th post op day two 

Hello everyone I am home and walking around pretty well with my walker. Pain has been minimal so far. I am on Percocet every four hours, so it's keeping it away pretty well. No complaints 

The home healthcare nurse came today and look at my incision. The incision looks angry and ugly, but appears to be healing well. I'm looking forward to taking the dressing off because I feel like the tape is burning my skin.

The Home health physical therapist also came today for the first time. I did pretty well with the Walker, and I'm really having very little pain. I have been taking the Percocet every four hours and I think I'm going to cut down on that. I am also on Celebrex as an anti-inflammatory, and aspirin 325 mg to avoid DVT's, blood clots. I'm not used to sitting around and so my mind is kind of having a hard time dealing with it.

March 6th post op day 4 Monday 

Today I am 4 days post op from my anterior left hip replacement. My pain is minimal, although I am on every 4 hours Percocet. I am also on Celebrex, an anti inflammatory, and aspirin to prevent blood clots. I am getting around slowly, but well with my walker. I'm sleeping great, although I did take an ambien last night to keep me in a good sleep. It is a lot of Meds but I want to keep the pain and inflammation to a minimal level. The only discomfort I have been having is a pinching sensation of where my implant is down in my femur, but otherwise I am well. I have some projects I'm going to be working on today on my computer, so I hope to get those done, or at least started. Hubby went back to work so I am on my own, I really feel I'm fine and if I needed him he would be here. Having this hip replacement from the front side has made a huge difference I suspect in my care.

I am still taking the pain medications every four hours. But I don't feel loopy at all. 

Tuesday March seventh,  5 days post op. 

The nurse came for a visit today and we decided I didn't need to keep the dressing on my incision. I have a lot of bruising around the site at the incision doesn't really hurt and appears to be coming together fine. I am cutting down to the Percocet I've decided to cut down to every six hours for today. I'm trying to be good about using the walker, I think it takes a load off. And will cost me less anguish in the interim. I'm kind of depressed today I like to be up and around and doing what I want to do. I need to rest.  I am feeling depressed and  find it very hard to relax.

Wednesday, March 8 post op day six

I slept really good last night and I have decided to cut my Percocet down to every eight hours. I will see how that goes, because I want to get out and drive around a little bit. Hubby doesn't want me to do that while I have the meds onboard. I really am not having any pain, the incision looks good and I continue on the Celebrex and the aspirin. I really am feeling pretty well and feel like I could probably transfer over to a cane today or tomorrow.. The physical therapist is coming today, so we will see what he says. I washed some clothes today balance in the basket on my walker. Pretty funny. I've been doing all my exercises and feel like my strength is pretty good. 

I had my physical therapist come over. I did fine except I got really dizzy and sweaty halfway through and had to quit. I felt like I was having chest pain. I'm feeling better now but I still like I feel like I'm having neck pain. I don't know if it's reflux or really chest pain. 

I think I better listen to my body because I am being stupid and doing way too much too fast. 

Thursday, March 9.

Last night when I went to bed I just felt exhausted and sick. 

I think I have been trying to do too much and get off of my meds too quickly. 

Although I feel good I need to take it easy and I need to let my body heal. Washing laundry within a week of major surgery probably not a good idea. I need more naps I need to heal better. I've cut down on my pain pills to only every eight hours yesterday, and I woke up around one with pain around four or five  out of ten all down  my leg. . I got up took a pain pill and I took an Ambien to get back to sleep. I need to take better care of myself.

Today I am one week postop from my total hip operation. I have learned a few things that I would like to share. First – listen to your body. Just because you  feel great and have no pain does not mean you didn't have a major surgery and that you should not take it easy. What it does mean is that the medicine, yes pain pills that you are on, are  working well. Does that mean you should cut them way back? The answer is no. That means you should enjoy feeling good enough that your body is not in pain so it can heal. You will not become an opiate addict over a space of two weeks, and although your family and friends may be fearful for you because of that, it really will not happen.

Second – just because you feel pretty good does not mean that you should be washing clothes and watering flowers outside. Even though you might feel pretty good doing it- it is taking a huge toll on yourself that you don't even realize The exhaustion that it will bring in a couple of hours. Third – when you wake up in the middle of the night having the worst pain of the whole week-  you think how stupid you must of been to think you could go without taking your pain pills. And so you then climb out of bed to take those pain pills and get back to bed to try to have a good night sleep. Not sleeping equals no healing.

I am learning the hard way how to take it easy, and it's not easy. I've been reading, napping, knitting, and watching TV which I realize I really do not enjoy. I am not sure what has happened to my attention span but it is way decreased. This has been a very good exercise for me, training myself to slow down. I appreciate all of your good wishes you have sent me and all of your calls and texts. I have learned that I need to be responsible for my own boredom and enjoy this down time.  As for my healing I am doing well, getting around but taking it a little bit slower than I was even a couple days ago.  Imagine me tearing around the house with a walker. An inspiring but not so pretty sight. Thank  you everyone for your support, I love the Internet and all the good that it brings.

Tuesday, March 14

Post op day 12

I've been getting around pretty well with my cane, but I need to be careful because if I start to limp then my knee hurts. 

I'm getting off of the pain meds mostly taking them at night, along with half of an Ambien. I've been taking some ibuprofen and that seems to help with the knee and making sure that I use ice also.

I am still using the walker when I'm just getting around the house because it really stops me from limping, I am doing good with PT exercises. My incision is healing really well and doesn't hurt at all anymore.

I have had five sessions of home physical therapy and still have three to go, I'm going to space them out 

March 15  postop day 13 

I slept great last night- I am taking the Percocet and half of an Ambien to get through the night and the struggle of getting comfortable. Otherwise I am up and moving tentatively but well. I'm using the walker for longer distances and the cane for just short distances. It seems as if I overdo walking with the cane or without the cane I seem to limp  and the limp then hurts my knee. And then I start to wonder and worry about my knee. I'm still using ice a couple of times a day I feel like it's still very important part of my therapy especially after walking around a lot. During the day I have been taking ibuprofen and still the aspirin twice a day for clots. I'm not sure if I should still be on the Celebrex but I'm taking that too and spacing it in between the ibuprofen. I'm feeling a lot stronger and my attitude is good, I've been grading papers this week and getting a lot done. Hanging around the house has made me feel lazy, I need to come up with some projects - like cleaning out cupboards. I haven't driven anywhere, so maybe I will try a ride today. Although I really have no place to go!

March 16

Hip replacement 2 weeks post op today! 

Today is my two week postop day  on my left anteriortotal  hip replacement. I feel like I'm doing pretty well.  I am having some pain but not very much and I am able to take care of that with ibuprofen. I am taking a pain pill at night so that I can settle into a comfortable position for sleep. As for activity,  I am still using the walker around the house to keep my form perfect and keep me from limping, otherwise I am using a cane. When I use the cane too much or ambulate without it, I develop a limp. And that limp then hurts my knee. Today for my physical therapy I worked on doing some steps, putting weight on my operative leg. I am also doing lots of exercises and he now has me putting weight on my operative leg also. I'm feeling pretty good about it.  And ice is my friend. Progress! Thank you all for all of your prayers of support I feel like I'm really doing pretty well. I'm not ready to go walk another Camino yet, but maybe next year!

3/27/17 

3 1/2 weeks since total anterior hip replacement. I feel like I am doing fairly well. I am still using the cane when I feel like I have to walk a longer distance. Haven't used the walker for several days.  I am taking a pain pill at night especially if I've had a long day, I am wearing a fit bit, and yesterday I put in 6700 steps with family being here, and it was too much. My problem area right now seems to be if I do too much I am getting knee pain. I am trying not to limp. But sometimes I feel it's impossible. trying to keep legs up and icing knee frequently. 

My incision has healed well and I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get into the pool. I live in Florida so that's good and I have my own pool, although it's still a bit chilly. My hip pain is gone but sometimes I feel aching  in my thigh. I am 61 years old and about 20 pounds overweight, so the extra weight is not a help to me. Something to focus on in the future. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi everyone, the reason also why I posted this is because I was desiring details how things might go for me - but remember, we are all so different. 
  • Posted

hi joni, 

Warm welcome to this hippy forum !!!

For some reason I didn't get this post in my in-box ---- what a wonderful report, darling and you are doing really well ... great idea to blog - I wish I had kept some kind of a journal (2 THR surgeries) so I can look back and see how I was doing - 

Now it is one big blur ...

Anterior approach has less restrictions post-op than posterior, however, it is still major surgery ..You might be doing too much too soon .. from what I read, it seems that you are well aware of it .... good job!

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I am having the same surgery on Nov 13th. This is really helpful. Thank you soo much! I live alone and need all of the support and information I can get. I have a good friend staying with me for the first week. I also live in Florida and am 65. I have no prior health problems, just this chronic hip situation. I would like to know what home medical supplies will Medicare pay for and what do you have to buy yourself in advance. I think a commode near the bed may be helpful, since I only have one bathroom in my house. So happy I just found this group!!!!
    • Posted

I apologize for posting twice. I am not familiar with this site yet.
  • Posted

I am scheduled for the exact same surgery on Nov.13th. I don't know what to expect and I live alone, so this is very helpful. I am 65 and in really good health. I have a friend staying with me the first week and I am so happy about that. I would like to know what I should buy that Medicare doesn't cover. Things that would make home care more comfortable. I live in Sarasota, Fl and have Dr. Stolarski as my Surgeon. He is from the Cleveland clinic and invented part of this procedure, so I feel like I am in great hands...but still, it is overwhelming never having been in a hospital before. Thank you for posting your progress reports. It is very encouraging.

• Posted

Hello Joni 

Thank you for your blog.I am at day 13 after surgery.

If I had read this I may have been doing better.I have been trying to do the exercises as directed by the physio but trying to do it without the pain meds. Obviously the wrong thing to do. 

Now I am going to follow your lead 

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.