Blood in mucus 5 days after period ends

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm 45 years old and have an ongoing problem with blood in stringy cervical mucus about a week after my period ends. This has happened on and off for the last 2 years, and not after every period.

I have discussed this with my GP and was told it is probably hormonal but was sent for a transvaginal ultrasound earlier this year to be safe which came back clear. My smear tests are up to date ( I actually had a smear 2 weeks after this first happened) and have had a clear hpv test previously. My Gp has said she could refer me if the bleeding was getting me down, but as it is so little she didnt really see the need and I could stop worrying about it unless it gets heavy.

The trouble is each time this happens, I panic, thinking what if something was missed! I try to tell myself that if it was cancer, it would have got worse over the two years but the doubt is still there. Do you think I should just ignore it and put it down to hormones like my GP suggested?

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am almost 35 years old and have the same problem with the same results. I did a lot of research on the internet about thos, and found that we are not alone in this problem. My GP told me to start a low dose of estrogen with a multivitamin that contains iron. since then, the bloody mucus has stopped as well. As uterine cancer runs in my family as well, I thought best to get tested for that as well. A simple blood test won't do, but ultrasounds do an amazing job at detecting the cancerous growths that might form in the uteris. Yours came back clean like mine, so I would say ask your GPabout maybe starting a low dose estrogen and once daily multivitamin. Exercise regularly, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. A little bit of peanut butter or even Nutella in a small plastic container with a baggie of your favorite veggie, help as a great on the go snack, and I use it as a comfort food.

• Posted

Thank you, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one! I think a hormone problem fies make the most sense, especially considering my age. I forgot to say in my original post, and probably tmi, but it usually happens after a bowel movement, did you find this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.