Blood in poo after my first bout of dierticular bleeding

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am new to this group.  I had diarrhoea with a lot of blood on Thursday morning followed by five more episodes.  I went to bed and got up about 1.30 and went to the loo and it happened again.  But this time I thought I was going to pass out and was pale shaky and clammy.  The NHS helpline was going to get me an ambulance but my husband took me into A&E.

They were really good took a load of bloods - everything was apparently normal and my haemoglobin, although slightly low wasn't too bad and I didn't need a transfusion.  They took me up to a ward where I waited until I was seen by the consultant.  I had no pain during all of this just felt washed out and very shaky.  He felt my stomach etc and didn't say anything apart from they didn't need to do a scan; I would be booked in for a colonoscopy as an outpatient and that I could eat and drink as normal.  He went on to describe it as small bubbles of blood on my colon that had burst, and that it was very common.  

I have since googled it and think it is Diverticulitis.

I have had a couple more bowl movements where it was sort of getting more solid and the water was less bloody.  My last couple of movements were better and no blood in the water but I could see it in the poo.

So my questions are:

After having an attack like this and things start (hopefully) to settle down is there blood in the poo for a while?

I have been passing wind a lot is this common and does is smell horrible.

Also when I had the attack the movement really smelled bad is this common and a sign of an infection?

I know this is horrible and its the first time anything like this has ever happened to me it was so frightening.

Lastly, I am under extreme stress at this time. I am taking my son to Germany for an operation next week - they don't do it in the UK. I am basically an emotional wreck.

Any help or answers would be appreciated.

Jane

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane sorry you are suffering, blood can be a sign of diverticulitis. When I had my flare my poo smelt putrid and was clay coloured. I had a lot of wind which also smelt. A colonoscopy diagnosed my condition. You did the right thing going to A&E as they checked you over. A colonoscopy will show  whether you colon is inflamed it sounds like it could be settling down now but any problems I would go back to A&E who will check you over I found that better than going to my gp as all he seemed to do was refer me on.  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you, Christine.  Yes the hospital said just get a referral from your GP and that cuts out going through the A&E bit and you get sent straight to the ward.  I felt a bit of a fraud as I had no stomach pain at all, just a bloating feeling, trapped wind and of course the maroon coloured blood.  I did feel as though I was going to pass out though and I still feel as weak as a new born kitten.

Just have to see how quick they are to send me for a colonoscopy.

Jane

• Posted

Hello Jane, the only real way to be certain of your condition is with the colonoscopy, which you will no doubt get an appointment for. You will be required to do a colon cleanse which involves fasting for 24 hours and taking a preparation which empties your colon over that time. The procedure itself is tolerable and you will be offered pain and relaxation meds - take them, it's worth it.

I have found that when my colon is giving trouble then I get more wind and my poo does smell awful. I have found that stress can adversely affect me too and it sound like you have more than your share it the moment. Good luck for your son, I hope all goes well and you can relax more. If this is an attack of Diverticulitis, it will settle with time so try not to worry.

• Posted

Thank you for your support I am sure it is stress induced.  I feel weak at the moment and look pretty pale but I am OK.  I have grown up eating a healthy diet lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and everything homecooked and I have taken that through my adult life. Yes I have a takeaway curry maybe once every two months and if we are in a rush I indulge my son to a McDonalds - once in a blue moon.

It's hard and the timing is so way off I can't be ill.

Thank you for your support.

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane

This is all fairly new to me

I have lots of bloody episodes

I always feel better after I do

Yes it's common thing to happen

Xx

• Posted

Good luck Jane, I also eat very healthy lots of fruit and veg and no red meat, I don't drink alcohol either think its just luck of the draw although age has a lot to do with it in my case.

• Posted

Hi Jane. I have been at this now for a year. I haven't had blood in my poo but everything else is the same. I also have IBS brought on by the DD   I know it's hard with what's going on in your life but try to stay calm stress can set it off. I hope all goes well for your grandson and you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.