Blood in stool??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been going to the doctors for possible ibs.. they don't know what's wrong with me however last year I had blood in my stool twice but didn't tell the doctor as it was not much. However I've had blood a further 3 time since going to the doctors around 3 weeks ago??? Anybody tell me that this is normal?? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had something similar in the past. It's not normal as such, but it's not always anything to worry about either. Even though it is not much, you should see your doctor about this. The colour of the blood (light or dark) is important and may be difficult to tell. Whether pain and / or cramping is present is also important. If you have IBS, it is unlikely to be anything serious, especially if you are young and more often than not, the bleeding is caused by an anal fissure that heals by itself.

When you see your GP, they may perform a rectal examination to help diagnose an anal fissure. If this is what it is, then no further action is really required. They may give you a laxative if you are straining a lot or Rectogesic 4mg to help if there is any pain.

In addition, they should request an rpt calprotectin test (faeces sample) which will check for inflammation in your digestive tract. If this test comes back positive, they may refer to you to a gastroentoroglist for a colonoscopy and biopsy to check for and rule out IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease), cancer or any other underlying condition. They may also request blood tests to check for levels of calcium and other nutrients. Whether they do this depends on how confident they are that the problem is being caused by something other than an anal fissure or similar condition. You should also consider getting a H.Plyroi infection ruled out too.

• Posted

It depends on many different things and the colour and amount of blood been discharged. I would advise you talk to your GP.

Most times light spots of blood is Piles, Dark blood a fissure, these can be repaired quite easy when they inspect the Colon

Talk to your Doctor and ask for the Colon to be checked

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Tell your doctor about the blood; you may have a haemorroid or a fissure.  Also ask for a fecal calprotectin test to rule out IBD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.