Blood in stool, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, this is my first post and just a fair warning, it’s a little TMI.

I’m and 18 year old girl and for the past 2 years I’ve been dealing with some stomach issues. I got a colonoscopy back in 2016 due to blood and mucus in the stool, and I got a second colonoscopy in the beginning of 2017 due to continued stomach issues. Both were negative, except they found an internal hemorrhoid in the second one. Things got a bit better after that and I didn’t have many issues other than some gas and an occasional stomach ache here and there.

The past few days have been a bit concerning. 2 weeks ago I had some bleeding when I wiped, but it got better the day after so I didn’t think much of it. However, last night after I used the bathroom, I saw a bit of blood after wiping but I thought it was just because I wiped too hard. But this morning, after I went again, I just happened to check and saw that there was bright red blood throughout the stool. This really shocked me and now I’m sort of getting worried. I’m currently at a university and don’t have access to my regular GP. Should this be a cause for concern? I really don’t want to have to go through the same thing I did in 2016, and I really hope it was just the hemorrhoid that decided to flare up again, but idk. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi linette6464

Bright red blood usually indicates that it is fresh blood from an anal fissure or heamorroid. If it was anything sinister the colour of the blood would be reddish/brown.

If it becomes troublesome you can buy haemorroid cream from the pharmacy or you could go to student services at uni and ask if there is a doctors surgery you could book into on a temporary basis...best wishes..

• Posted

You could go see your Dr to be sure, but I've always read/been told that bright red blood is from something non sinister, near the opening of your bum - like a hemorrhoid or fissure. If your stool was tarry or black, that would indicate internal bleeding and that would definitely be cause for concern.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.