Blood on skin contact

Posted , 3 users are following.

So last night i was out with a gay friend who lives a risky lifestyle he ended up getting really drunk and hitting his head on a fire hydrant and bleeding, i held for a while until ambulance came to pick him up. About two hours later i noticed i had blood on my arm about the size of a quarter. I just want to know if there is a chance i could get hiv this way?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

And i do have eczema on the skin his blood was on
  • Posted

No chance, unless you had a cut on your arm, and your friend is hiv positive.
  • Posted

There's no chance at all unless your friend is HIV+ and the skin on your arm is actually broken enough to bleed (which is possible with eczema, but rare).  Even then, I think you'd be more likely to be run over by a car tomorrow than to have contracted HIV.  It's easy enough to test for peace of mind though, but you'd need to wait three weeks for an early exposure test and three months to get the most accurate test.  The chances are so low, that it's really not worth losing any sleep over in the meantime.

• Posted

If you know him well enough, you could explain the situation, and just ask him when his last HIV test was.
  • Posted

I dont know him well enough to ask. The skin the blood was on was intact with no visible abrasions, but im just wondering if the blood can be absorbed through the pores
    • Posted

No it can't.  Your skin would need to be broken (and even then, the chances of getting infected are low - like really really low).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.