Blood results

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I got the report from the specalist back and just wanted to ask  if I've got it right. 

Free T4 was 44.9 and a suppressed TSH at 0.05

I've had a look about and just wanted to clarify that this result is high rather than just a bit high? 

I feel really rubbish and have only just started taking the meds but I struggle myself with .... Am I just moaning ...... Or would it be valid to go on the sick..... I don't want to milk it but really do feel rubbish. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. No you are not moaning. Im struggling too and ive been off work three months now. I can barely keep my eyes open some days and i would love a dose of energy to just cope with things around the house. Im really wiped out at the moment. Even though ive had the radio treatment begining of last year, it looks like my thyroid might ve come back. So at the moment my meds are being reduced gradually but so far my levels have remained high. Up to now my employer has been very understanding.
  • Posted

Hi Alijo,

Yes your levels are high, T4 should be somewhere between 10 & 22 if memory serves me right. Mine was 65 when I started on the medication. The meds will take 4-6 weeks to even start making a difference and even then it's a long road to feeling normal. Don't be afraid to go off sick - I had two months off because I had quite a physical job with long hours and I just couldn't cope with it. I'm normally quite fit but could barely drag myself up the stairs. Take care of yourself and you will start getting better but don't best yourself up if it doesn't happen as quickly as you expect. You'll have good days and bad days in my experience. Good luck with it.

• Posted

I had mild Graves compared to your results but from being on this and other patient Boards, I find that the patients who do the best for their disease are those that work in partnership with their doctors, but do their own research and make use of all the information available and do not rely solely on their docs to fix them.  I did research and came across a paper that stated that hyperthyroid patients benefit from L-Carnitine supplementation.  Carnitine is an amino acid normally found in your body but gets lost from the muscles of hyperthyroid patients through urination.  I asked my doc to test my Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine levels and found I was deficient in it so started taking L-Carnitine.  The positive results in my TSH showed me it was beneficial.  Then I switched to Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 to 1,000 mg and the results on my TSH level were astounding.  I also was tested for Vitamin D levels and found to be deficient in that so supplemented with 1,000 mg of Vitamin D as well.  My levels are currently all normal on 2.5 mg of methimazole alone.  Most doctors are not familiar with the Carnitines and do not want to learn about it so you need to make the decision as to whether it would be helpful to you or not.  If you do decide to take it, the Acetyl-L-Carnitine especially requires close monitoring (at least once a month blood tests) and frequent adjustments to its dosage and your methimazole or carbimazole dosage to keep your levels in balance.  Also avoid any foods with Aspartame in them and eat a healthy diet. 
  • Posted

my values were in the 30's lower than yours and my dr said to take it easy for 1 month no strenous activities when i first started.... i was diagnosed in feb...In april I was working out..now i workout everyday...so just give the meds some time to kick in

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up