Blood test from endocronologist has me really nervous help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in September by my  family physician he put me on PTU 50mg 3xs a day in early November. I went and saw endocronologist on Christmas eve says my white blood cells are low i was wondering could this be a result of the meds. He took me off PTU and placed me on methimazole 10mg twice a day,   please help because it seems the  more questions i ask my endocronolgist the more upset he becomes him and my family dr

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm hypothyroid but sounds like you need to change doctors and go with someone who would really care and listen to you
  • Posted

Donald, you are more than entitled to ask questions and if you arent getting treated the way you should be I would consider changing doctors.  I was on carbimazole first and it didnt agree with me, and now the PTU is lowering my blood count also.  From what I have read the endos arent very sympathetic.  I have waited a few months to get a decent response from mine.  At the start I was just sent off with a prescription and left to get on with it.  Its a miserable condition but hopefully these meds will work well for you and you should start to feel better soon.  Please keep in touch and I hope you get your answers
    • Posted

Do you know anything about hypothyroid because I would love to learn more about my disease?
    • Posted

Hi Juan, I am still hyperthyroid (feel like I am an expert!) but sadly dont have experience of hypothyroid.  I get great help from these forums though and am part of a group on facebook where you can ask questions and share experiences.  Sorry not to be able to help you
    • Posted

Hello i had to labs again on sat my ps levels was so that is believed to be Graves. Funny how this all started went to doc was losing lots weight he said a had a thyroid virus and  would go away on its own started getting lumps on my nipples month later then he  talked treatment and   would go away  in a few months, now i Graves I'm thinking if  would  treated it right away I'd be  fine  is that wrong of me to think
    • Posted

The patients who post to the Boards that I have seen successfully go into remission do more than just take Medication.  You need to change your diet and avoid gluten and sugar.  Because hyperthyroidism depletes the body of many vitamins and minerals, replacing these with supplements helps you recover faster and your medication to work better.  Selenium is an excellent supplement for your eyes.  L-Carnitine and/or Acetyl-L-Carnitine will help your blood values improve sooner and will replace the carnitine that your body has lost.  However, you need to get your lab tests done every 6 weeks to make adjustments in your medication as your values will improve that quickly.  Most doctors do not know or care about the supplements but the people improving on the Boards are taking them.
  • Posted

Donald, you are more than entitled to ask questions about your disease.  When you do all you can to advocate for yourself, they will not blow you off like this.  You need to know if your hyperthyroidism is caused by an autoimmune disease such as Graves or Hashimoto's or is just caused from nodules or thyroid inflammation.  So ask your doc if he is willing to test antibodies.  Next, always get a paper copy of your lab tests and keep a file on them.  You will learn what they mean soon enough.  There is lots of information on the Internet about Graves and hyperthyroidism.  Google this and learn all you can about it.  Finally, and this is something your docs do not know about or will not endorse, there was a medical paper published in a respected medical Endocrinology journal about the value of hyperthyroid patients taking L-carnitine supplements.  It helped immensely.  Also most hyperthyroid patients are deficient in vitamin D and selenium so these supplements are worth taking as well.  When I read the paper, I tried the regular L-Carnitine first in a dose of up to 3,000 mg and it helped a bit but then I tried different carnitines and Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1,000 mg was what helped me the most.  When I added it to my Methimazole dose, my thyroid blood values improved very rapidly and I was able to decrease my dose of Methimazole.  I also lowered the dose of Acetyl-L-Carnitine to 500 mg.  Recently, I discontinued it altogether as my blood values are right where I want them and am on a maintenance dose of 2.5 mg once a day.  This supplement should be available in any health food store.
    • Posted

Linda i have Graves, just found out today is there something i can take for my eyes and my  anxiety is to the that my  family  doesn't want me stopping can you help
  • Posted

P.S.  No matter what the cause of your hyperthyroidism, the Acetyl-L-Carnitine will help.  If you have a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroid disease, however, the regular L-Carnitine is preferable.
    • Posted

I had my appointment yesterday with my endocrinologist and well he didn't want to do any labs I asked for but I will try to take them some where else , Ian on 50mcg of levothyroxine and well I improved alot but still have bad symptoms but not like before , and well I started to feel a lil bit bad yesterday so my endocrinologist told me if I felt bad to jus brake my tablet in half and take it but idk if I should can I have some advice
    • Posted

I would find another doctor who is willing to work with you.  I don't know whether you have Hashimoto's causing your hypothyroidism or not and that makes a difference knowing that.  Some people with hypothyroidism do better on Armour rather than Synthroid.  Armour provides replacement for both T3 and T4 thyroid hormones. 

• Posted

I have no idea about signs T3 is not working.  I know that many hypothyroid patients do not do well on Synthroid but do better on a T3/T4 combination.  In fact one lady who had hypothyroidism and was on Synthroid for 30 years with poor improvement found a new doc who prescribed Armour for her and in one day all her negative symptoms were gone.  She was so angry about the fact she suffered for 30 years that she made a movie about it.
    • Posted

Whoooo that's bad for her , well I have seen improvement but not all quite normal yet but then again its only been about 31/2 weeks since I started the medication but its that I jus want to knw as much as I can about my disease , should I mention armour to my endocrinologist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.