Blood work perfect but still symptomatic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I have had hyperthyroidism on and off for about 5 years and i have become very familiar with the symptoms. The cause has yet to be determined for reasons i cant understand but my GP believes it is most likely graves disease but he himself has been suprised at my blood test results over the years and has not confirmed anything. I have never had to take medication as my symptons only last for about 2-3 months before gradually clearing up to leave me in perfect health. And compared to some people on here my symptons seem mild. I currently have the weak legs and higher than normal heart rate when exercising and generaly feel sluggish but my blood test came back perfect. Is this possible?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have very similar but for hyperthyroidism. my blood test mostly show slightly higher T4 and T3 levels and get very fatigued, anxious, poor sleep and higher temperature. I don't want to start medication as now and again my blood tests come back in the normal range. Very frustrating often not knowing what to do...
    • Posted

I agree its very frustrating. Even with my history of hyper my GP thinks i have mental fatigue rather than hyper as i have been working longer hours and the blood tests show i am in excellent health with perfect  hormone levels.I dont know what to think or what to do. Reading other posts it seems the endocrine system and hormones in general is a very complex area even for doctors to understand.
  • Posted

Hyperthyroidism can be caused by an autoimmune disease like Graves Disease or Hashimoto's (some people have both) or it could be caused by a virus that temporarily causes an inflammation of the thyroid gland.  Has your doctor checked your antibodies? 
    • Posted

In this case he hasnt but in the past when i have been clearly hyper according to my blood tests he found evidence that my body had been fighting something and this led him to believe it was a virus causing the problems. Subsequent visits he now thinks its most likely graves disease. The weird thing is i only ever get symptons around the change of seasons around spring summer. Never had a problem in winter. Hence my symptons now (Australia). I almost wish the blood test showed up high levels at least i would know whats going on. Thinking of getting another test done.  
  • Posted

Linda I was going to say I'm hypothyroid and well I had bad cold I had a fever then I started feeling bad for about one month then it was my tsh level that had gone up to 12.65 .. Right now I'm still high on my tsh its 5.15 and this is strange I feel like I have a sore throat an I cough alot and my thyroid gland is a bit swollen an I get pain from the front on my neck to the back of it but like a soreness pain tho .. Can anyone relate to anything ?
  • Posted

Yes but I get impatient and stuff they're like always busy and I get real curious because I care alot about being in good health
  • Posted

I'm on levothyroxine 50mcg , Linda you had told me to be in a diet , yesterday I ate a burger with bacon an different sauces in it an salty fries an a sprite coke an I started feeling awful .. Can u give a lil list of food I should eat if I'm hypothyroid ?
    • Posted

Whether you are hyper or hypo, diet plays a huge part in our disease and recovery.  You need to avoid gluten (found in wheat, cereals and bread), sugar, Aspartame (artificial sweetener found in pop and colas) for starters.  Fresh fruit and vegetables and proteins are good  You can do an internet search for best diets for thyroid health or look fhe Paleo diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.