Bloodwork Advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Approaching meno has me feeling like hell most of the time.

Mornings are the worst... wake up feeling anxious and nauseous and unable to focus. Sometimes shakey. Sometimes hot flashing then chilling. Not really sweaty usually, but super oily. Appetite and focus don't return until late in the day, if they do at all.

Heart palpitations at any time my hormones try to do anything... feel like my body is trying to bleed from Days 1 - 7 (but only bleeding for 2, sometimes 3 days). Then feel like my body is trying to ovulate the rest of the time. Very little cervical mucus (sorry if tmi), and very rarely looks like egg white... much more like tacky rubber cement.

I have a gyno visit scheduled for 8 days from now... any advice on what blood tests might be important in sorting this out?

Such as...

test for level of each of the estrogens... estradiol, estrone, etc

progesterone level

Vitamin D status

Anything else you kind ladies would recommend? I am so done with feeling like hell all the time.

I appreciate any input you have!!

Sara

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi - yes, ask to get your cortisol level checked - can be done with a saliva test - most western drs dont believe in the test, but naturopaths do - its interesting to see if your high cortisol levels are causing your anxiety in the morning when cortisol is at its highest level - mine was off the charts -

• Posted

Thank you, Debra!! I think I know just the place locally to have that done.

• Posted

make sure they check for all viruses too like ebv hvv6

• Posted

Thanks, Lori!!

I'm familiar with EBV...I did have a virus of some kind in Oct, and EBV did not even occur to me.

I am not familiar with the other...what is hvv6?

• Posted

theres loads of herpes viruses and thats one they should check for along with any parasites. im 9 months in with ebv and mono when i thought it was just meno .....i knew i was way worse than anybody on here ...so demanded more blood work.

you are wise to be specific as i ended up in the emwegency room and they didnt even test for it ? finally demanded a test from my dr and st 5 months in got diagnosed . what we think is all meno could be something else .

• Posted

Thanks again!!

Is your recovery from mono and ebv coming along at all?

• Posted

hi sara

its a very slow recovery my worst months were 6 7 and 8... i am seeing some better days now but my God what a nightmare ! on top of meno symptoms .... i wouldnt wish this on anybody !

• Posted

Hi Sara, my obgyn checked my thyroid.

• Posted

Thanks, Lou!! Good thought, It has been years since I had that tested.

• Posted

Great topic! The only test I've had done was my FSH level this past summer, it was 57, which my GP said was high (I'm 44 and basically still getting regular periods, except for skipping September, which wasn't long after I had the bloodwork). She basically confirmed my suspicion of perimenopause, but I'd like to ask my gyn if there are other things that should be looked at (I see her next month).

• Posted

Thanks, TE! My appt is today. I will let you know if there is anything she tests/recommends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.