Bloody water after bowel movements. 4 months post c-section. What is wrong?

Posted , 4 users are following.

4 months ago I had my first child via c-section. Ever since then, I can't bm the same ever since. It is either terrible constipation or painful diarrhea. I have taken probiotics and fiber supplements per my doctor after telling her about my issue. I have also tried suppositories, senna laxatives, milk of magnesia, and Miralax. She does not believe it to be a fissure or hemmoroids, but the toilet water is bright red and so is the toilet paper after each bm. My bum hurts for hours afterwards and I only have a bm once or twice a week, and there is never relief. It seems that if I am not constipated, I have terrible cramps in my uterus and intestines that feel like contractions until I am forced to run to the bathroom and bm multiple times until I take Tylenol or ibuprofen. What is happening? It has been 4 months of this and nothing seems to help.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

dc927

It may be an anal fissure. Have you actually had an examination of your external anus. Anal fissures as well as hemarroids leave bright red blood in the toilet bowl. If you do not have an anal fissure or haemarroid you will need yo have a rectal examination and a scan of your abdomen. Go back to your doctor and request a thorough examination, you are entitled to a second opinion....

• Posted

Bright red blood on the toilet paper can be associated with fissures of haemorrhoids . Your doctor should not be saying she doesn't think these things are the culprit until she has examined you to confirm it. Diarrhoea and constipation can cause fissures and haemorrhoids. Your C Section may have upset nerves and caused IBS which can result from abdominal surgery. Abdominal pain and bowel habit change are associated with IBS.

Go back to your doctor and insist on being examined for fissures and haemorrhoids, and push for scans; particularly a colonoscopy and abdominal ultrasound. Ask about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.