bloomin'fuming

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have fibromyalgia, polymyalgia andosteoarthritis in both knees and hips. I am currently waiting for an mri scan before a tkr on my right kneeI'm really struggling at the moment with horrendous pain from my knees as well as the fibro and PMR. I am walking with one elbow crutch as I struggle with two.

We go to a pub quiz on a monday night with some friends we've known for over twenty years and another couple we met at a previous quiz a couple of years ago. I really have to force myself to go as I'm tired and in pain but once there I really enjoy myself. The couple we've not know for as long don't have a family (well she does but the girls in their 20's don't have anything to do with her) their lives revolve around her job and their hiking at weekends. Tonight she told me that she has it on good authority that the best thing for arthritis is walking. She had arthrits in her toe and had a cortisone injection and was told to walk and she has had no pain since. I said that when your knees are bone on bone walking is painful. She wasn't convinced and now I'm fuming!!

I want to tell her to read up on fibromyagia and polymyalgia but she'd probably scoff and say it's a made up condition like yuppy flu!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Friends and family can be your greatest allies but can also be the biggest pains in the butt. Some of the data on motion and pain reduction is pretty specific regarding how it works. Swimming is probably as good as anything because it is basically no impact. However, what people who hype movement as the answer fail to take into consideration the amount of existing damage to the cartlidge. When you get to the bone on bone anything impact is going to be painful. Body Weight, weather and lifting can all play into pain.

As mentioned before, you will hear all kinds of stories about miraculous cases of healing. Walking 2 miles 3 days after being released post tkr. Marathons in 6 weeks. Never having to take a single pain pill upon being released from the hospital.........all total BS. The body has to take time to heal and the sooner people realize that everyone is different and even though we eventually all heal, it takes time. I'm going through my 5th complete rehab all on the same leg. Every time it's been different. Stay with this group. Everyone has actually lived through the entire process. They know what they are talking aboutband will become worldwide family

• Posted

In her big toe??????? Lolololololololol

OMG that is so funny. And she telling you what you need to do?!!!

What a belly laugh I had. Thank you.

What a ninnie. I say tell her you have it on even better authority that she's a wing nut!!!

Wait for your MRI and your TKR date and go about your business. If you want to be proactive while waiting for all this you can do exercizes right in bed or on sofa to get your leg muscles ready for the days after your tkr, as long as your fibromyalgia will allow you. The stronger your thighs and calf muscles are the easier recovery will be.

Look on internet for a picture guide to exercizes after tkr. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Elaine in Michigan

• Posted

Oh Dear

You are certainly going through the mill at the moment.  They say that fibromyalgia is one of the hidden illnesses that nobody can see and most people do not understand and the pain is unbearable when it kicks in, not to mention the knees and hips!

For sympathy and understanding you have come to the right place. There are so many good people on this forum that will reach out to you and try to help you get through. Even if we cant help you at least you will know that there are people out there that you can talk to and rant at (as you have done!).  Bet you felt a little bit better when you finished writing!

Do try and do a bit of exercise on your legs and build up the quads and hamstrings.  You may be able to do some of the exercises that are done in bed. It will help your recovery if you can build up these muscles. Give it a try.

Read the posts on here. They may give you some idea of the recovery that you will have to go through. Its a long hard journey, but most of us get there in the end.

Stay strong

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Thanks all for your lovely replies, it is great to be able to talk to people who understand.

I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone but I would wish a couple of hours of my pain on her just so she could feel how I feel.

Just off now to take the dog on a painful 10 minute walk, thank goodness he's only small!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.