Body aches and Graves

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I have Graves and Hashimoto's. Currently taking only 2.5 mg of methimazole since T3 and T4 are normal now. I have noticed that sometimes I have this muscle aches all over my body. I am female 34 yo and try to exercise regularly, and if for some reason I skip a week of exercise, my muscles and joints start hurting so much.... i was wondering could It be related to Graves and/or Hashimoto's? Thanks in advance! Laura

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also any suggestions for relief?
  • Posted

Hashimoto's patients are extremely sensitive to both thryoid replacement hormones and thryoid blocking mediations and swing back and forth.  If you have Hashi's even with Graves, you might want to add supplelments.  You say T3 and T4 are now normal but what is your TSH?  Other people who have posted to this Board who have Hashi's did well controlling it with Regular L-Carnitine.  That woul;d also help your muscle aches. Vitamin D and Magnesium are also important.  When I went onto these supplements, I got tested for my levels in them first and I was deficient.

• Posted

Oh my TSH is 0.1 but it has been going up from 0.02 from the previous lab.
  • Posted

Maybe Hashi. I workout a lot too. Muscle aches last for 2 days and hurts my neck to a ppoint where it gives me a headache. I have Grave's. When i feel like I'm getting over medicated by methimazole my muscle would cramp up while doing ab workout. That's what i noticed, then i would just go in and get blood test done.  How did your ENdo find out about hashi and Grave's . I asked my endo and she said "you can't have hashi you have Graves its on the other side of the spectrum".  Someone from this forum said i might be a swinger Hashi and I told my endo and got shut down that idea down so fast.

• Posted

There are other patients on this Board and other Boards who have posted that they have been diagnosed with having both Graves and Hashi's.  If you have antibodies to both diseases, then you have both diseases and you are going to be more sensitive to meds than just a Graves patient would be.  I know a lady on another Board who has both and she chose treatment by a Naturopath and has gotten good control over her diseases.  Her lab values are excellent.

• Posted

I sent you a private email answering your question.  In addition, you can look for Naturopaths in your particular area to go to.
  • Posted

Yes. I have antibodies for both. My doctor tested for both right from the very first lab she ordered. I have read it happens... I find weird your doctor 's opinion! And thanks for the tips. I will ask my doctor to run exams to see how my vitamin levels are. I guess I just need to accept the fact that the muscle pains is part of my illness and not allow it to stop me. I really need to look into take suplements. I am taking a regular multivitamin.... it might not be enough.

Thanks!!

• Posted

A regular multi vitamin is definitely not enough for this disease though it doesn't hurt.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.