Body Jerks when falling asleep ?..

Posted , 5 users are following.

When you're falling asleep and your body jerks and wakes you up. What is all that about ?..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think its muscle spasms, when your relaxing, the body shutting down for sleep... 
  • Posted

Are you on meds ? It sound like restless leg 
    • Posted

Yeah 20mg of fluoxitine and 25mg Amitriptiline. .It wasnt restless leg I had that when I was pregnant. It was a bit  like when you dream your falling off a bike and u jerk awake however I wasnt thinking of anything in particular....x
    • Posted

Sorry I mis read, its not your legs. I get these body jerks, mine are due to nerve issue in spine, which is twisted and the cord is rubbing against bones.

I am guess from your does of Amitrip that it for nerve pain ? I have been prescribe that previously, I am of course purely guessing as dont know the details

• Posted

Yeah it was for a presumed trapped nerve in my neck 5 years ago. However more of a sleeping aid now..It was like my body was asleep but my mind was still ticking over. I also get sleep paralysis from time to time. Doc said its stress related...x
  • Posted

Dude this is a totally normal phenomenon, EVERYONE gets this at some point or another when asleep.
  • Posted

very common.....happens to my family members all the time
  • Posted

Does it occurs while u r falling asleep?Looks like hypnagogic jerk.Google it.Antidepressants are also known to cause sleep related movement disorders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.