Body panic

Posted , 2 users are following.

This has just happened to me for the first time in ages (Last time was about 6 years ago), but was even stronger than ever before. Had a massive body attack almost causing me to faint. I barely could see trough all the flashes I was getting in my eyes. I had to lay down for a second because I was sure I'd collapse otherwise. Hearing myself cough sounded like trough a broken set of speakers and was accompanied by known to most people ear ringing... and after it all stopped I still had a lot of white noise in my ears for the next 5 minutes. 

The cause of this all? I hit my finger against a faucet and got a little piece of metal stuck in between the finger and the fingernail, causing a relatively small bleed and a lot of pain. I'm not exactly an expert on those things (thus I'm posting here and asking for more specific information) but I know it was all just my body panicking. I didn't "ask" it to panic, I knew it was a very minor injury, but it still did panic.

My question here is - how exactly does it come to those situations? What exactly is my body doing and why does it overreact so hard in comparison to a "normal human being"? Is there a way to fix it? One of these days I'll cause myself more trouble by fainting after a minor scratch than I would by just patching myself up.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

For me and husband a really great physcholist explained about our AMYGDALA, look it up, fascinating how it works and why it works, exactly what you described, flight or fight.

?I want to imagine you are a cave woman, you partner is out trying to kill a mammoth that is going to be dinner for the next few months, and a sabre tooth tiger comes to the mouth of the cave planning you and your children being its dinner, FLIGHT or FIGHT kicks in big time.  

?Its a really primitive part of our brain, even before what I describe above. 

?Reading about it on the internet helped me understand the why's and also helped me learn to help my husband when he has panic attacks.

• Posted

I've just scanned trough some basic information about it now (will read more into it later) and one question I still don't really see answered here is, why do I react so much to just a metal splinter under my fingernail. Sure it was bit bigger than usual, but a normal person could bleed X times as much and not get the same reaction, unless everyone around me is just super human. It's annoying to almost pass out with every little amount of pain I experience or every little amount of blood I see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.