Bone fragment

Posted , 7 users are following.

my hip replacement was almost two years ago. The surgeon left a 6x6mm bone fragment that shredded my psi as muscle. I had surgery to remove the bone, repair the psoas and IT band. It's been 13 months since the last surgery. I'm still in pain and limp when I walk. Has anyone had any experience like this; if so did you recover? 

Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lori, l will suggest the hospital for special surgery in New York city they fix the mistakes  made by others  if they can. . What does your doctor about this? Prayers with you
    • Posted

Thanks Mike, 

i live in Colorado and I don't think insurance would pay for a surgery in NY but I will check into it for sure! I appreciate the information.

lori

• Posted

Jeez that's terrible. I'd be taking legal action, pure negligence.

• Posted

i haven't wanted to go that route but it may get be my only recourse as insurance has stopped paying for PT.

• Posted

It's carelessness like this that is making my own decision very hard. I'm so sorry you are still having a lot of pain. You must be really fed up. I can only imagine sad

• Posted

Sarah,

It's my understanding that this is very rare, in fact I haven't been able to find any research on it. Chances are in your favor things will go smoothly!

Lori

• Posted

Dear Lori, if you ever do come here let know, in 1989 l lived in Glendale Co. for about a year , it gets very cold there and lots snow , you never know when . I will tell you , l find myself in so much un reversible pain , that wish l was very old so l sooner then later could  be with the lord  at peace , with my luck l will be here forever , l am 58 ,  l had two fusions on back lumbar , l need more on spine, l had two failed knee-replacements on the same did as dislocated hip, lm just saying thank god there a natural end to the  misery of it all. God bless , Lori , l do not like what happened to you , Doctor could be at fault . In my case , l think l was , but l now know he my as well be  negligent ,  l pray for healing for you. Good night. Mikey ny
    • Posted

dear mike, 

I am so sorry to hear in how much pain you are  for such a long time ...

I read your story and was wondering if you can take this surgeon to court ... would you be able to prove that there is negligence involved - were there any witnesses who hear what he said about you ?

Is there any one you can talk to ...

Sending healing prayers your way ... keep having faith 

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Dear Renee,  l appreciate what you said,  it's bad enough this happened now I have my doc that against me, I did go for a second opinion they said that it was pushed in the pain is from nerves and ligaments and muscles torn, lm in terrible constant pain, the ligament in knee left which was replaced same side as hip replacement, in 2012 , has never been pain free ligament pain severe , is worst due to dislocation, my was done Jan 9, 2017 dislocated , feb 13 , that whole side feels broken,  l am taller on one side at least two inches, lm seeing him the surgeon in October, then a pain doctor, I really should call a lawyer just to put him through the ringer , l do not think l have a case , l sat a little low and was honest about it to him, but the things he said to me were wrong , when I went for the second opinion the doctor there at the hospital for special surgery said he should've went in because of the fusions that I already had in my lower lumbar, this is constant l feel like l need miracle yesterday. My wife was a nurse in NYC , hospital, She worked 25 years there, in 2003 she had an MRI , done by a doctor at this same hospital she worked , anyway the  dr , told us the MRI was good,  pulmonary doctor , 3 years later my wife was still seeing her , when  another doc the same hospital read my wife's MRI he called us in the next day and said why have you not taking care of this we said what are you talking about he said you have 19 centimeter kidney cancer , my wife died because of this doctor not reading the MRI, l sued and won, it means nothing with out her, with in 3 months she was gone ,  in 2006 march. The hospital went bankrupt do too many lawsuits, l could not sue hospital, 12 street 7 ave NYC Saint Vincent's hospital , l been through the mill with this horror.  Read everything from doctor,  stay in touch , thank you. I pray the best for you Mike

• Posted

Renee, that read wrong second opinion dr. said he shouldn't of went in because you're fusion on that level

• Posted

Hi Lori, 

Warm welcome to the hippies forum ... so sorry to hear about what happened to you .. 

The psoas muscle is such an important and big muscle - not easy to work on either ... 

I understand that healing might take a long time --- while healing and repairing it self, it is also being used to keep you in balance and moving etc ... 

are you walking unaided - are you in constant pain or only when you move a certain way or walking ...

When was the last time you saw your surgeon? Maybe it is time to make an appointment ...

please keep us posted

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,

It hurts pretty much all the time. I walk unaided mostly. When I get really tired I use a crutch. I'm able to ride my bike fairly pain free. I've seen multiple surgeons. My hip itself looks ok so they don't know what to do.

Lori

• Posted

Please describe your pain in more detail. Is it your Psoas Muscle? Is it your IT band?
    • Posted

Hi Jodi,

i had shredding and scarring on my Psoas from the bone fragment and had my It Band lengthened. After a bit of research I believe is is my piriformis muscle and my psoas. I have episodes of pain that could be related to my IT band that make walking difficult. To complicate getting help from a doctor I have spinal stenosis. I've had episodes of pain related to that in the past and this isn't like that at all. I did not have these symptoms prior to surgery. I was able to a lot more before the the surgery. 

I have have a distinct painful spot on the glute area, pain down my leg, and across my foot. It's constant but worse when I lay down and when I first start walking. I walk with a limp, kind of waddle. I have intermittent pain above the knee and running from above the knee down and towards the back of my upper calf. That pain makes it painful to bear weight but if I push through it it will lessen. Riding my bike is much less painful than walking. 

Thank you,

Lori

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.