Bonus side effects from TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone. I hope we are all doing as well as we can be, under the circumstances!! 

I spent a lovely two days looking after a pooch in a Sydney harbourside mansion. The family are a very busy one and this housesit was a prelude to the 3 weeks they've booked me for, in July. The pooch is a Westie (West Highland white terrier). They are great little doggies, almost as delightful as Jack Russell Terrorists.

Anyway I had a bit of enlightenment, sleeping in a lovely bed, in a room with a fireplace, listening to the ferries come and go.

I recently weighed myself and I've lost about 10 kgs. I'm no longer food focused and I wonder what happened to me under that anaesthetic?

I find that my thoughts are on moving, always moving. I cannot sit still. When I sit down and get up after 20 mins of puppy patting, my knees are so stiff and sore it's just as easy to either lie down or go for a walk.

Perhaps this is what I was always supposed to do than sit on the lounge watching Netflix with the air conditioner on 25 degrees, munching on pizza and licorice and my fave of all time, black jelly beans.

Has anyone noticed any positive side effects from their surgery??Maybe it's just the Norspan 5 mg opiate pain patch deluding me!

Have a wondrous day folks! Remember all this is only temporary! The best is yet to come (I hope!)

Best wishes

lyn

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes...the pain meds definitely make one delusional!  When you sit for a long time and get up, there will be stiffness.  Doc says that the stiffness and swelling could take up to a year to go away.  Also...  Get off the meds as soon as you can. Tough but doable.  You don't want to be on the opioids any longer than you need to be.  Then physical therapy...lots of it.  Gotta straighten that leg out.  Have fun...
    • Posted

Hey Chico. I ceased the big gun opiates at 6 weeks. My pain was so uncomfortable I started back on Tramadol. I am not ready to suffer yet so will give the 5mg Norspan another couple of weeks! I am not going to suffer when there's a drug I can take. My GP is very anti opiate but I asked her if she's had a knee replacement. I think I will know when it is time or commit myself to rehab! All the best lyn
  • Posted

HI Lyn

My positive side effects is I lost over 15 lbs in a month I agree with you what did they do as I don't have an appetite any more.

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi tom. Maybe the kneebone is connected to the appestat! Have a great day!
  • Posted

When did you have your surgery?
    • Posted

March 10th.  Enormous pain for quite a few weeks.  Would rather have had another kidney stone!  My problem is that the pain meds don't work on me.  Percocet plus Flexeril and I was still in pain.  Just had to fight my way through it.  Ditched the walker and cane ASAP and committed body and soul to the physical therapy. 90 days from surgery and I have no knee pain...just the normal swelling and tightness that will clear up in time.  Knee is -1 degree (zero is straight; started at -14) and +128 degrees bending the other way (+120 is the goal; started at +84).  Now I have to work on my quads to get the strength back.  Not bad for 3 months of work...
  • Posted

Whatever it is, try and package it for the future. In the meantime, take of advantage of your enviable position as long as possible.
  • Posted

Whatever it is, try and package it for the future. In the meantime, take of advantage of your enviable position as long as possible.
    • Posted

Yes, it's called gratitude? Tks OFG for your input. Best wishes lyn
  • Posted

Lyn I hate to say it but your sense of utopia is because your in a mansion in Sydney Australia!! Very jealous! Lol...as I sit here in beautiful Minnesota I can't help to think how grand it would be recovering so close to the great barrier reef...I love to scuba dive. So weird you talk about licorice...love licorice.... especially outback black licorice. Anyway, like you I've lost approximately 10 pounds and just don't have a strong desire to eat like I had before the surgery. It's nice to hear something positive about tkr right now because it will be sometime before I see the real effects of the surgery. Enjoy yourself lyn keep that positive attitude and help others along the way.

Pease my friend!

• Posted

Peace to you too bpaschke47. 10pounds is a good loss. Cannot sneeze at that! All the best lyn

• Posted

I lost about ten lbs. prior to second surgery. Doc was very happy. Thing is I think my appetite diminished due to the miserable pain. But since OR, I've still kept the weight off. Good thing but unfortunately, a lot of it was muscle loss...also due to, I'm sure pain and lack of activity. So PT is a real biggy to get mass and strength back. Always a work in progress...
    • Posted

Watch out!!!!!! That weight has a way of sneaking back...........and its always during the night when it's dark and you can't see it happening.
    • Posted

You are so right melinda. The PT is boring but necessary. Just had a hydrotherapy session and feel super dooper! I am hoping I can keep my weight off. I was not too overweight before with a 26 BMI but now at 23, I feel pretty flash! Have a great day! lyn
    • Posted

Totally agree OFG mine has found a way creeping back already ha ha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.