Borderline high and hypersensitive

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would be very grateful for some opinions and advice. I've recently had some bloods done because of health issues this year, which include quite dramatic weight loss and increased sensitivity to antibiotics and foods etc., a lot of which were tolerated previously. Thyroid result was: TSH 2.69 (0.27-4.2) and Free thyroxin 21 (12-22). Immunoglobulin G, A and M checked with M reading low. Can anyone suggest what the thyroid readings may indicate and if the hormones are likely to be affecting my immune system response to various things? No treatment as yet, Doc is planning to repeat test in next few weeks. Many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, weight loss often occurs in hyperthyroid patients. The borderline high FT4 value would be a lot more suspect if your TSH level would be suppressed at the same time. If this test is your only reference then this might just be your normal level to which your body autoregulates. 

Your weight loss might have to do with your other health issues. If you have taken antibiotics in the recent past I would recommend the regular consumption of probiotic foods like kefir and yoghurt. If you are vegan then the alternative would be lactobacillus capsules available in the pharmacy. 

There is indeed a link between autoimmune disorders and increased sensibility to some foods and other allergens.

If e.g. further test should show that you indeed have an autoimmune thyroid disorder then you are more likely (compared to a control group of healthy individuals) to develop allergies. If you are interested, then I could send you a link to a scientific article discussing this topic.  

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much for your response, greatly appreciated. This recent test is the only thyroid one I've had, so there is nothing to reference it against. I have had several other blood tests / samples at the same time to check for many other potential underlying problems but as yet nothing else has been identified. I take your point that this may be my bodies normal set up, but if it is then they havent identified what the real problem is. I had thyroid antibodies checked as well, which were neg, but I found out yesterday this was for the hypo autoimmune condition and not Graves. I have a doc appointment this week so will be asking for this to be done along with vitamin deficiany check. As I mentioned a big concern for me is my sensitivity to medication and foods, this has really escalated in the last 4 months, which leads me to believe something in my body has definitely changed. I've had immunoglobulins checked, A, M and G I think, two were ok and M was low. My other big fear at the moment is I need some dental work done pretty urgently but I'm frightened of the use of anaesthetic with my sensitivity issues, if i do decide to have an injection ive been advised to request no adrenaline?? Don't really know what to do for the best at the moment.

• Posted

It's a good idea to let your dentist know ahead of time of your situation. I have Graves' disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) and I know that hyperthyroid patients need special management during dental treatment (like no adrenaline).  

I have had a relapse once and for me, a sure sign that I am getting hyper again is an increase of the resting heart rate. You could monitor your resting heart rate keeping a log. If your heart goes up you could let your doc know that it might be time for another thyroid function test. 

Unfortunately, allergies can develop later in life. A few years ago I realised that I can't eat melon anymore, a fruit that I used to enjoy when I was younger. It is important to keep a list of all products that cause an allergic reaction. Your main strategy should be to avoid the allergen as continued exposure might exacerbate the problem and can bring along further allergies. 

• Posted

Thanks again for your input, I'll try to keep a log of various things and I'll have to request no adrenaline for the dental treatment, I've been trying to put it off but I don't think I have a choice now. I wondered if you'd ever heard of anyone having problems with antibiotics, such as amoxycillan, because of their thyroid conditions and if they succeeded in working around the problem. It's a real issue because I have a small abscess at the moment, hence the dental treatment required, but it's also a problem for any other infections etc going forward. I appreciate that allergies can worsen with age but I do believe there has been a step change in mine over the last 4 months. I wonder if my results indicate a problem with pituatory gland or some other part of the system.

• Posted

Hi DanR, could you send me the link to the article regarding autoimmune thyroid disorders and allergies. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi dubers4, I just sent you the link by private message. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.