Both Feet

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had both of my feet done at the same time 9 days ago...!! incase I was to scared to go back for the other one but I have to say I am really surprised how I can get around.... ok only shory periods of time and the rest my feet are elevated. The thing I am more nervous about is Monday as I get my stitches out, I have two very styling shoes  [smile]  which I will not be sorry to get rid of, does anyone have any tips for me for Monday. Also I have not seen my feet yet as the plaster was put on straight after my op 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yep, I had both feet done 11 days ago and I too am nervous about what will happen when the plaster and bandages come off. Unfortunately I couldn't get my follow-up appointment until Sat 26th so it is going to be 18 days after the op! Not ideal but they couldn't fit me in earlier. I only hope they will be able to get the stitches out ok and won't have to dig them out as I read someone had happened to them! Yeek!

I hear that once they have taken the stitches out and checked everything you still have to wear the sexy sandals for another 4 wks?!? True? My surgeon also said they would be putting another small plaster cast on, so I'll definitely be in the boots again!

where are you Joanne? As there seems to be differing ways of doing things depending different regions ! You will have to let us know how you get on, on Monday!

• Posted

I am in Jersey my surgeon told me they would be putting a splint on but nothing about another plaster cast...!!! I think he said I would be sporting the sexy shoes for at least 4 weeks...!!!! smile My appointment is at 8.30 Monday morning then pysio the next day will let you know how I go. I wish they would just put me asleep and do it...!!!
  • Posted

I would take some ibrofen before you go to get your stitches removed.  Some people have not had any problems, but some have had discomfort...I was one of the latter!  The blood had dried and stuck to the bandages and the nurse who removed them was a sadist!  Best to be prepared.
    • Posted

Thanks Lynn I will make sure I do...!!!! My surgeon was very nice and I am seeing him so all good smile I hope 

• Posted

I can imagine you being nervous having your stitches removed but all should be fine. I had 12 out with only one hurting a tiny bit. The nurse will cover your surgery with a waterproof dressing which you need to keep on for a few days. Best not getting your feet fully wet during that time apart from washing around it with a slightly dame face cloth. Depending on your skin type, you may notice lots of dryness after the plaster has been removed. My skin is extremely dry and was peeling. Best of luck Joanne.
    • Posted

Thank you when did you have yours done and how long before you where back in normal shoes.? 
  • Posted

I can imagine you being nervous having your stitches removed but all should be fine. I had 12 out with only one hurting a tiny bit. The nurse will cover your surgery with a waterproof dressing which you need to keep on for a few days. Best not getting your feet fully wet during that time apart from washing around it with a slightly damp face cloth. Depending on your skin type, you may notice lots of dryness after the plaster has been removed. My skin is extremely dry and was peeling. Best of luck Joanne.
  • Posted

Hello (: I had both feet done on the 17th and have found it quite sore to walk around even in the surgical shoe so been stuck lying down for most of the time. What is everyone doing to pass the time? And I havent got a plaster cast I only have bandages
    • Posted

Hi there!  I am 1wk 2 days ahead of you and am now relatively pain free!

I personally don't think you should be doing much walking around at all, I was told no more than 5 mins in any hour! and for those first 4 days the only time I put my shoes [yes, the sexy ones!] on and walked were my trips to the bathroom! be patient! and enjoy the rest! You ask what we 'resting' patients do?!?! there's tons of things you can do while resting......radio, Tv, books, mags, surf the net...endless! I am sitting with my feet up surrounded by my radio, ipad, laptop, book, mobile, house phone and the TV remote!  People who have got up and about earlier than suggested have told me that they have paid for it in - pain and slower recovery time! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Hudson

I can't imgine how I would feel with no plaster cast on as it does also stop you from putting any pressure on the front of your foot, well thats what mine feels like, but yes I am too lying down most of the day well sitting up on sofa with feet elevated...!! with a book, tv remote and lap-top by my side. I just glad I had both done at the same time Good Luck.. smile

• Posted

Best sitting on the lounge with your feet elevated as high as possible provided you're comfortable. Other than that, lay your feet on a few pillows in bed which should ease some of the pain. Maybe the best thing to pass time is use a laptop, tablet going online or reading which can become boring. If you like knitting, you may do that while sitting on a chair having your feet elevated at the same time. Best of luck! I had scarf/akin osteotomy done on June 24 and still wearing a space-boot for another three weeks. There is no way I could walk without it for the time being.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.