Both knees

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I had my TKR 7 weeks ago. It seems that the knee is doing ok........Now my proble is that the other knee (the right) needs doing too and it's playing up and won't let me walk properly with my new knee Anybody expeirenced this. It's so frustrating and i'm not really physically ready for the second op right now. Any experience welcome. I know nothing can be done a part from the second op but it's getting me down a bit

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your right knee and so soon after your surgery! I don't have any experience to share with you as I'm 3 weeks post op and still on crutches, my guess is though that you've been relying on your right leg walking after your surgery and put pressure on the knee. So it might be a case of balancing your gait and rest the right one as much as you can till it feels better. Best of luck anyway! !
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Same with me, I had my right knee done, and because my left knee wasn't good and was doing all the work on stairs etc it started playing up, I twisted awkwardly after two weeks and the pain was really terrible.

Like you I was panicky and couln't face more surgery so soon.

But as my right knee got stronger my left wasn't as bad, and it was another two years before I had to get that one done.

That was last August, and although I still have stiffness in the morning, I'm glad I have two new knees, and the second isn't as bad to have done, as you already know that the pain gets better.

Hopefully, your new knee will strengthen up and give you a bit of breathing space, fingers crossed.

Don't get too depressed, just think of the time when it's all over and the arthritis pain has gone, it will come :-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou for your experience. Yes that makes sense....physio makes me work both legs because of the apparatus and the right one can't really take it. My rheumy had told me t take a little less cortisone (3 mgs less not a lot) but maybe i should wait until i have stopped physio. I'm hoping to wait at least a year till the next op
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

all i know is dont get the second one fixed until the first one is fixed. Sometimes, there are after surgery complications. You wouldn't want to be walking with 2 knees that haven't fully healed. May god be with you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry....it seems that not all my message came out right
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi I am 10 weeks post op and having the same issue. Before my tkr my gp stopped my anti inflammatory as my blood pressue was doing weird things and she thought it was as i had been on it so long, luckily turned out wasn't and could start again. However while i was off them my other knee was sore, I mentioned it to her and she said it was because it is doing more work compensating for bad knee. Since surgery and coming off pain meds my knee is sore, in exactly same place as bad knee started. At my check up with consultant he said if one goes the other will likely follow too. He told me he will check it when he is checking my knee at 12 months post op and x-ray it but if it gets worse before then I can go straight to him and not through gp. As my first tkr has been a sucess and I know what happens now I will not mind if it has to be done. Good luck x
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up