Both Knees THEN HIPS?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had one TKR with my second scheduled for October on the other knee.

I am experiencing a lot of discomfort and pain now IN MY HIPS!

I put Icy Hot roll-on on my lower back and hip area which helps some. I am curious to hear if anyone was in the process of getting KNEE REPLACEMENTS or part finished getting knee replacements when THE HIPS STARTED causing pain and discomfort.

Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if having ONE SURGERY just set the ball in motion for EVERY JOINT I have to become the squeaky wheel and want the attention!

Anyone have HIP SURGERIES not long after KNEE SURGERY?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi cheryl id say the way your walking has alot to do with the pain of your other knee that has to be done and also because of the way your new knee is only just starting to do some propper walking  you have to realize your new knee and your damaged knee are carrying your full weight so untill your back on two good knees your hip wont ease off the thing is its a good job your going in soon for your other tkr because the longer you wait it could very well impact on your hips
    • Posted

That's what I thought, too! My X-RAYS looked BAD, BAD, BAD!

It has been a long time since I walked correctly. I had no idea how messed up I really was!

• Posted

All the muscles round your knees and hips will be weak as you've found put at physio.

When I started doing the clam exis for my knee I found my hip on the other leg where I'd had it replaced was really weak but my quads were strong.

As someone said, all out of whack!!!

• Posted

When I had my first physical therapy I couldn't even FEEL my quads! They would say, "Flex your leg and straighten it." I honestly had to push my hand where they said the muscle was in order to even BEGIN TO FEEL IT!

Now another thing is I had a nerve block inserted for three days. Parts of my leg were NUMB. Parts of my LOWER LEG are STILL NUMB. I thought that maybe THAT had something to do with me not feeling what was going on in my leg.

As I continued with physical therapy and home exercises and regular walking and moving, I noticed my body responding better to actually FEELING connected to my brain.

It was distressing to me at first how "hit in the head " I felt! When they would ask me to move a certain way, I found I would have to REPEAT what they said aloud, THINK ABOUT IT, and then translate THAT information into movement.

Very weird experience and quite SCARY, actually!

Seven weeks post op I am NOTHING like that, thank goodness! I guess my story is a testimony to the VALUE of Physical Therapy!

Learning to walk all over again and do it properly is LOTS OF HARD WORK! I never realized how complicated it is!

Thank you for your help in understanding how this all goes!

Wishing success for you each day!

• Posted

I am the same. When I walk any distance at all my opposite  side from my tkr hurts like crazy. The back and hip. I've come to realize that the knee that is fixed, my L is making that leg a tad bit longer with the new adjustments. So I'm hoping when I get my 2nd one done, it will take care of it. I had mine done Dec 2014. Still a ways to go yet regarding soft tissue aggravation. I choos not to have the MUA. I hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Hi Anne!

Have you tried Icy Hot roll-on or its equivalent? For MONTHS my lower back and right hip have been aching, so I roll it on several times a day. It buys me 2-3 hours sleep at night, too. The roll-on is nice in that it does NOT get on your hands.

Reading so many comments here has convinced me that I have been walking/ moving in weird ways to compensate for my bad knees. All that REALLY messed up my allignment and pretty much everything else. Many of my muscles are MUCH WEAKER than they once were because walking and just MOVING has hurt so much.

Now that pain is less on the left and HOPEFULLY soon will be less on the RIGHT, I look forward to getting back to a reasonable NORMAL gait which will take the pressure off my back and hopefully my hips as well.

Did you ever have any idea you would have to work SO HARD just to regain what you USED to be able to do? I sure didn't!

Do well. Get strong. Bye-bye PAIN!!!

• Posted

I will look for this, Cheryl. I use A topical cream but I have to rub it in, so of course it's not convenient all the times. I have to be where I can wash my hands. Thanks for that bit of info. Be well. 
    • Posted

You are very welcome! The roll-on has been very convenient, and you can put it on and go...no hand washing needed!
    • Posted

How much ROM have you got in your knee(s)??

After my arthrosopy for 4 weeks, before I went back to work everything was fine.

Then I started getting that catching pain.

Now my knee has stiffened up but no catching???

• Posted

Just about a week ago I finally managed to pedal ALL THE WAY AROUND on the stationary bike at Physical Therapy. That was a real MILESTONE because even when I had physical therapy BEFORE ( when I was just beginning my GAUNTLET of insurance "You have to do THIS , then THIS, then THIS, and now THIS and MAYBE then we will GRANT YOU what you have needed FROM THE BEGINNING ...TKR! ")

For me, I always need to work into the better range of motion particularly if I have been walking a lot of standing a lot or ANYTHING which has kept my knees straight for any length of time.

It also works the OTHER way; if I have been sitting a lot, working on bending exercises including doing the bicycle, my STRAIGHTENING is a challenge.

Guaranteed: if I am BENDING really well on a given day, my STRAIGHTENING will NOT be as good. If I am doing GREAT at STRAIGHTENING MY KNEE, then my BEND will be less.

They haven't done the measuring thing for me for several weeks. I am not sure why, but I am happy they haven't and have based their evaluations on THINGS I AM NOW ABLE TO DO compared to before.

I like to progress in THAT WAY. Just seeing myself as a stupid NUMBER of degrees DEPRESSES me and doesn't give me something (A MOVEMENT OR SKILL) that I have achieved.

I am always VERY, VERY CAREFUL to ease into every movement. I am big on stretching, and easing into the stretch. I began Yoga in 2000 as a way to combat the stiffening that I was feeling with my arthritis. I REALLY loved the calmness, the slowness and the feeling of going deeper into a stretch. I continue to use these principles as I do my physical therapy, so "catching" really never happens.

Maybe you could benefit from a SLOWER movement or transition from being one place and going to the next. Easing into each and every new position. VERY SLOWLY provides a better stretch and a better result.

• Posted

It was when I was walking that the catching started but when I'd finished a 9/10 mile walk the other week, up and down on uneven ground that my knee started getting stiffer.

So now I'm trying to do more miles on my bikes.

As for the stretches I do them all the time at work whether I'm feeling stiff or not.

I just wished I'd stretched more when I was younger and running for enjoyment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.