Bowel movements

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello ladies

i just wondered if anybody else had experienced my problem. I had an a and p repair at the end of Jan and bowels movements are ok one a day now but I still have to sit and wait a while as I dearnt push but I know I could do with going as I have that heavy feeling. Last night I did my yoga and ok I did afew planks and slow sit ups but I always hold my pelvic floor at the same time then when I get home I know I need the loo but it is slow transit well sometimes I do get fed up with waiting and pushed more last night. I hack had the most un comfortable day today and worried as it feels like the prolapse is back I took a laxido this morning to make things easier for me I hope I have not done any damage. Has anyone else experienced this please 😩😩

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Situps, planks, and straining all put pressure on your pelvic floor.  Maybe that was just too much, especially for one day.   The advice I read about making the repair last longer said not to do any of those things.

I am much earlier on than you are, but the other day I went to the bathroom and it wasn't soft enough and it left me sore in the area of the repair.  I don't think I did any permanent damage but it was definitely a reminder to be really really careful.  I think that is similar to what you are describing and I don't think I did any permanent damage.

You might find the australian site, pelvicfloor first, helpful for exercise.  I think it is supposed to help you find pelvic floor safe exercises so you can modify exercises to protect your pelvic floor.  For example, knee planks put much less strain on your pelvic floor than a full plank.

• Posted

Hi Diane,

If you have had a pelvic repair planks and sit ups are an absolute no-no. It is too much of a strain on the pelvic floor. Check out Michelle Kenway on safe pelvic floor exercises with prolapse - that straining could do real damage.

Have you tried a toilet stool - I won’t mention the trade name here I'll get into trouble, but get your knees up into a squatting position. This is a good position for full eliminations. Statistically men take longer on the loo than we do, so don't rush it, take in your ipad if necessary!

Try supplementing with magnesium, this is a natural way to help movement, and as always lots of water and fibre. If you take laxatives, they stop the natural movement of the muscles and long term use will have a considerable effect on your system, so do all you can to keep your bowels functioning naturally.

?Massage your abdomen downwards too in a clockwise direction 12/3/6/ o clock, this stimulates the bowel.

It is such a shame that we are told to think of constipation as a nuisance, instead of a really serious health problem with serious repercussions for our pelvic floor. 

Please no planks and sit ups....keep active, watch your weight, correct your posture - one Physio the other weekend said at a conference 'Change the outside stuff otherwise the pelvic floor will always overcompensate'. 

Shoulders back, BBC (bum at the back of the chair), don't tuck your hips under, and don’t sit on your tail bone. 

Good luck! Hope this helps Diane. 

• Posted

Stephanie are you the physio I've heard the ladies praise for your advice? If so can you just clear something up. I was told many yrs ago that small chairs in a school wasn't good for our pelvic floor and I should always sit on the correct sized chair for me.

Also does cycling put any strain on our pelvic floor at all. I'm not talking about a Rd bike. Just a hybrid with straight handlebars.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fi.

• Posted

Hi Fi

No I am not a Physiotherapist, but we work closely with them and try to get as much good information out there as possible from the medical world to the men and women who need it! Quite often we think surgery is the solution to the problem but as we all know surgery is just the begining!

I'm not sure about small chais not being good for our pelvic floor, but for sure I am understanding more and more the importance of posture as I spend more time with the Physios. It makes sense certainly and I would recommend anyone buying a wedge cushion to improve posture and keep the hips rolled forward. Sadly we tend to sit on our tail bone (coccyx) especially after surgery and we tuck our hips in which is so bad for our core. Poor posture is reflected in a weak pelvic floor..

Cycling? The exercise is good as long as it is not straining, however the same conference I heard a fabulous Physio called Bill Taylor from Edinburgh tallking about spining classes, he said when there is a spin sprint this puts real pressure on the perineum (especially for men but also women) and can cause nerve damage and loss of sensation, leaning forward pressing down on the saddle. There is a high rate of erectile problems with male cyclists because of this pressure and many of us are unaware that we have to protect this nerve rich area!  Handlebars should be high so the posture is upright, cycling is a low impact exercise so this should not put undue strain on your pelvic floor. 

Supplement with a good Vitamin D3 too, it is clinically proven that women with a weak pelvic floor have lower levels of this essential vitamin. Hope this helps

S

• Posted

I've never fancied spinning. I prefer to get out and enjoy the scenery of cycling. I take Miri vitamins so will check and see if they contain this vitamin

I am very guilt of poor posture and before my op I was having back and shoulder pain and went to see an osteopath. She picked up on my back pain coming from my pelvis being misaligned and gave me some exercises to do but since op have stopped until I'm fully healed as involve stretches. I'm going to arrange to see her again and get some advice.

Thank you for replying with your advice. Much appreciated. X

• Posted

Hi Stepanie 

thank you for your useful advice I will do knee planks at yoga and one leg slow sit ups which I believe are safer for your pelvic floor   I still want to go to my classes but be safe after this major surgery and these are good ways around this I do also put my feet up on a stool for BM's xx

• Posted

I'm not sure those situps are safe either.  The pelvic floor first web page just nixes sit-ups as a group.  Maybe you could find another substitute?  Or just do more knee planks smile  These are the ab exercises they say are safe:

Pelvic floor safe core exercises

-single leg extension with one leg supported by a hand on stationary knee or moving foot on ball

-knees side to side with feet on ball

-modified plank on hands or knees with a slight bend at the hips

-wall push ups

-ball bridge (feet on ball or back on ball, +/- single leg lift)

-arm and leg lift on all fours

-leg lift sitting on the ball

-shoulder rotations with back on the ball

-standing balance work on the bosu or balance disc

Most of those have props, but some don't.

They also have a phone app with exercises.  I haven't tried that yet as I'm not quite there yet (8 weeks) but I should get it and poke around.

• Posted

Thank for that Dorry I have put one app on my phone now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.