Bowel movements 7 times in 2 hr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Diagnosed with DV 4 yrs. ago.with routine colonoscopy.

always suffered with constipation.I also suffer with seriously bad wind which is very embarrassing. Now over the past 2/3 years am now getting diahorea frequently, no warning but just have to rush to the loo urgently.going as many as 7 times in a couple of hours I have very little pain, when going to the loo yes I get a stomach ache.

Have been prescribed Codine Phosphate but I don't like taking it continuously., after the bout I feel fine, but I'm finding these sudden  onsets worrying as I don't get any warnings. I play golf so am always praying It doesn't happen on one of those days.

have just done two days days on apple juice nothing else, and today made a smoothie of Apple ginger carrot celery and sunflower seeds but crushed then first. These bout are happening now every ten days. Inbetween I'm fine. Any ideas what I should do apart from not eat?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds horrid; but I personally would think apple juice is rather acidic and that maybe you need somthing more bland or something like Complan meal replacement.  I have had DD since 2006 and do sometimes get urgent bathroom needs; a pal with the same condition can go for several days where he dare not go out.  Fybogel sachets are a greater leveller; good for diarrhoea and constipation (I am in UK).  Your dog should be able to prescribe them for you - orange flavour best.  My mum used to have it for diarrhoea (think she had DD or maybe IBS but it was never diagnosed).  You can also buy them in the chemist.  When you eat; try binding foods like eggs and white rice - keep fibre to an absolute minimum so no wholemeal foods etc.  Good luck. Its horrid to have so many bouts....can also leave you with a sore bottom; again GP can prescribe cream; but I find the washlets are good; and vaseline applied after every loo visit.
    • Posted

Thank you for the humor re Dog,!,

i will try Fybrgel but thought that would be too much fibre. 

I love the granary breads so does that mean a no no from now on?

thank you for your suggestions will give it a try.

• Posted

That of course should have said YOUR DOC.....(not your dog; unless of course your dog is medically qualified!).....tee hee
  • Posted

Hi again Toni.  I will now paste something I have posted before about what you should and should not eat....seeds, nuts, pips, skins AND WHOLEGRAINS...are a no; no!!                         I expect you have read some of my replies to folk on here.  I have had Diverticular Disease since 2006.  There are a few rules to follow - NEVER have seeds, nuts, pips or skins (not even dried fruit as the seeds and pips are still there; only smaller and dried) as these bits of nut; seed and pip can lodge in the DD pouches/pockets.....and the first you know is when they have festered away for several days and suddenly you get hit with the pain you have just had; yes - you think you are dying......and left untreated; you likely would.  I am not scaremongering; but his is a serious condition we have; and we need to make life changes to reduce the bouts of infection. Also avoid veg and fruit skins as these can get stuck; that means sweetcorn and peas and pulses generally are a no; no.  Find your own way with the "windy" veg like cabbage; broccoli; leeks and onions - I am fine with them; some are not.  Likewise garlic and spices - I cannot tolerate them; others eat them and are fine.  These windy veg and spices do not cause infections; but our guts react to them quickly with pain that is a response and reaction; which can be as painful as an infection.  The other thing to remember is NEVER to get constipated.  Take something like Fybogel to keep things in that department regular.  Straining a gut that has weak points; can created new pockets/pouches (and we do not want any more of them than we already have!!!) Even following all the "rules" on diet; I was ill more than I was well from Nov 14 til July 15 - but then from advice on here; I began taking high dose acidophilis from the UK Holland and Barrett health stores (20 billion) which are healthy bacteria for the gut.  I have been well since July 2015.  It is a JOY not to be in pain.  I wish you well with all the changes you make...I can have red meat, pasta; pizza with no problems. Some say red meat gives them pain.  While your gut is inflamed; keep your diet light, bland and LOW fibre - as you get better and the gut pain goes; increase your fibre intake.
  • Posted

I used to adore the bread that had linseed in it; Burgen I think....but its a no to seeds now.  Used to adore granary....but that is also a no no.  I would give up almost anything to NOT be in pain; and I have been largely well since last July (instead of largely in pain as had been the case for ten months) and it is a JOY.....no food tastes as good a being pain free FEELS.
    • Posted

Thanks for all the info, will really have to alter my eating habits thought I was  eating well all the right healthy foods seems  Im wrong, but if it stops the frequent visits to the loo it will be worth  it.

Many thanks

• Posted

I can only say what works for me and that I have noticed a hugh improvement since taking Holland and Barratt Acidophilus 20 Billion. I also take charcoal tablets to help asborb gases. When I have diarrhoea I keep my diet bland i.e. white bread, white rice etc. Once my bowel movements are normal again it is important not to get constipated so I drink prune juice. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your tips,

inhave just started taking 4 billion Acidophilus but will get the 20 million  and I will try the charcoal tablets ( anything)  

seems to go against the grain to go onto white bread and rice but it it helps will go for it.

plus the prune juice .

Thanks

• Posted

Prune juice?  I take that when I am constipated as do some others I know.....would it be an idea to give it a swerve for a while?
  • Posted

Toni it took me years; yes YEARS to get anywhere with dietry advice - I was told low fibre always; but that actually is only when you are inflamed and have pain or diarrhoea.  Once all settled; high fibre is best....and the fybogel; and the NO seeds; nuts; pips; skins thing applied FOREVER. Hope you are soon feeling better.
  • Posted

Know how you feel Toni. I'm in the middle of an infection again 5th in 4 months   I get so constipated even though I have fibre gel every day and drink loads. Then I get the diarreah for a day or two and I darent go anywhere. I keep a food diary but there is no patten as yet so not sure what is going on. Only dx in December. Hope you soon feel better
    • Posted

Thank for you comments angil. It is interesting to hear so many people suffer with this discomfort, I will star using a food diary to see if there is a pattern.

many thanks Toni

• Posted

I suffer with diverticulitis also.  Given your see saw gut health, I would get a blood test to see if there is any inflammation (higher white blood cell count) to see if you have a bacterial infection.  Do you have pus in your stool? Blood? - even if you don't think so you may still have an infection that requires an antibiotic. 

Too many smooties etc, liquid diet can also cause loose stools.  Better to eat a balanced diet and use metemucil on a daily basis to regulate and move your stools once you know you are not in a flare.

As for golf, I hope you can keep enjoying it, but I have not been able to plan or particpate in organized activities at all now that I have had diverticulities for 7 years.  Easting out is a problem as well, as sometimes as soon as the food, no matter how carefully choosen can almost instantly trigger the need for the bathroom and this can be quite distressing in a public washroom for health and personal reasons. 

Hope this helps and you get into remission soon. 

• Posted

Dear Donna.

Thank you for your advice will try the metemucil. I have left off the liquid diet and am really checking what I eat eg no skins on fruits nuts are a no no which I love as granary bread. I hope this will relieve the bowel of the irritation.

Thank you for you advice.

Toni

• Posted

Hi Toni,  The diet followed by sufferers is the Mayo Clinic Diet regardless if you are in or out of a flare. It is available on their website. Hope it helps. Have a good day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.