BPD, Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone I have not been on here for a while. Thought i would catch up n some stuff, My depression is still here and I have found an amazing doctor which really listens to me, I have tried a very lot of antidepressants so my doc has taken me off 45mg mirtazapine, which I have weened off them in the last 4 weeks, So now I onl take 300mg normal release quetiapine at night time and my doc has just upped it to 100mg in the day which I will start tomorrow, I am feeling nervous as I know I will be getting side effects and I don't like feeling too zombify. If I do feel in a very low mood i have to see the doc. I'm also trying to do some exercise and maybe one day this year actually get to a gym. Has anyone else take quetapine in the day and night and how did it make you feel? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I am taking Quetapine for 5 months now. It took a while to get the right dose. I take 200 mg in the morning, 200 in the afternoon and 300 before bed. Total of 700 mg a day. I am also taking zoloft 50 mg a day. For the first few weeks ... I felt sleepy.My psychiatrist gradually increased the dose because I have major depressive disorder which caused flashbacks and auditory hallucinations with a few visual ones also. The visuals left quickly on the 200 mg... but the 1 voice continued to plague me. It is only on 700 mg that I feel completely normal. This medicine has been a life changer for me. I am thankful that we have it. You won't feel like a zombie... I go exercise 4x a week and am staring University in September. The quetapine also stopped my sleep paralysis. I am 17 now and have been on meds since I was 16. I feel that this quetapine is excellent. You will get used to it and be able to stay balanced whilst gradually getting back to activities. Remember to never do anything that you think is beyond your limits. Stay balanced and you will be fine. I had to slow down ... wake up 7:00 and go to sleep by 9pm. It is good to have a stable routine going. Also, you will not gain weight if you get a hobby going... the medication can make you feel hungry and the only way to defeat it ....is by focusing on something that you love... I keep my hands busy with knitting etc... Please don't feel nervous or think you will become a zombie. I have never felt better. I know my limits and set up my boundaries in order to heal. Depresssion is hard to defeat... but when you feel stable on the Quetapine... you will push yourself to do some yoga, pilates, dance etc... whatever you love to do.... Just Keep Balanced and read inspirational verses everyday. I read the Bible plus I love Kipling's poem "IF" ... to give me hope and encouragement. I hope I have helped a bit, Heidi. You sound like a really nice person.  Prayers and Hugs xx 

• Posted

Thank you Rose, I am doing fine atm going to increase quietapine 25 weekly until I get to 100 mg a day and see how I feel then. I have put a stone on since taking these meds and my tummy is always bloated,

not bothered about weigh gain as I look better with it. Thank you for your insparational words xxx

• Posted

Yes, I have put on about a stone also. It is tough to prevent overeating because the Quentiapine affects the pancreas function in a way that we have a hard time maintaining our weight. I'm stable now with my weight ...My tummy is also bloated... it's so odd because it looks as if I am a couple of months pregnant. So happy that you are doing fine :-)))) 

• Posted

Definitely exercise everyday if you can .  30 min 5 days a week at the least . You will be amazed at the dopamine that kicks in and gives you motivation and helps fight off depression.  It truly is the best medicine .  So make it as important as taking the medicine . 
    • Posted

Actually, the Quetiapine(Seroquel) stops the dopamine from being overly produced. It sounds odd but we want to decrease our dopamine because we already have too much of it.... which causes the BPD, Auditory hallucinations...flashbacks etc.  I exercise everyday and make sure I am well hydrated with water bottles... but the dopamine won't increase on Seroquel... it will continue to be suppressed for our own well-being. 

• Posted

I am very interested in this. I took 100 mg for years at night to help me sleep. They stopped working this year so I went off them for a bit but couldn’t find anything else that would work. I am now back on 50 mg dose that work somewhat. I didn’t know you could have such a large dose. I would love to try it during the day to help with my depression. Hmmm
    • Posted

Hi ya Deb it's certain doses that help ypu sleep. Mine don't help me at all with sleep but they did at first, I'm going to see what happens when I reach 100 mg in the day time and if I don't sleep then back to docs. But hopefully I will do. I would ask your doc about upping your dosage. 300 mg at night time I'm fine. xxx

• Posted

Hi Deb, please don't take Seroquel for sleep. It is a very strong medicine and has loads of side effects that will either happen now or in the future. Unless you are suffering from Schizophrenia, BPD... I would not touch it. Try Trazadone... 25 mg or 50 mg to start with... will put you to sleep within 30 minutes. Plus, Seroquel does not help with depression. I need to take 50 mg of Zoloft because I need a boost. 

• Posted

My doctor says at the low dose of 50 - 100 mg it is a sleep aid and doesn’t have the side effects. Trazadone did not help me sleep at all. Nothing really works well but seroquel will on a not too high stress night. 
    • Posted

Thank you Deb, I think I need my night dose looked at as I do not sleep goid at all xxx
    • Posted

If I don’t go to bed within 30 minutes of taking it often it does not work. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.