BPH and Medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 76 and have an enlarged prostrate.I visit the bathroom two or three times nightly and usually empty my bladder if I massage the scrotum area after urination.My flow is moderate and my psa reading 3.23.My GP has prescribed alpha blockersTamsulosin 400 which I have taken for just over a week.They make me dizzy at times and also had a few headaches.I am wondering whether to continue with this drug or ask my GP for the alternative prostrate reduction medication.Any advice please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome Brilliad,,

sorry to read of your trouble. You'll find this forum full of guys with a wealth of experience who are willing to share their experience and expertise along with support and advice.

I was on Tamsulosin for some years on and off (montly on) and never experieced any dizzy spells or headaches.

Whilst you may think you are emptying your bladder, you may well not be. I too thought I was emptying, but several checks over the years showed increasing urine retention - from 300-600 mL to eventually 1.2L.

The problem with this high retention was that it caused a 'backwash' into the ureter (the pipe from the kidney to the bladder), which as well as reducing my kidney's effectiveness (I only have one), increased my blood pressure. The upshot was I had a catheter fitted to see if that improved these things - they did. So then they recommended, and I did, a prostate rebore (my PSA was OK too) 'cos that was the cause of the high retention. Since then I've had great flow - tho' still get up once a night. However, during the day I only need to go every 3-5 hours rather than the 1-2 hours previously.

So perhaps you need to have your doc give you an ultrasound scope of your bladder - that'll show how much retention you're having. Better, but more troublesome (read painful) is having a catheter inserted and see how much drains out even after you think you've emptied your bladder.

• Posted

Hello Brilliard,  There are alternative ( and cheaper ! ) meds to Tamsulosin  ( Flomaxtra  here in Australia ) but it is considered the most effective and,  the least likely to cause low blood pressure.  Your symptoms place you within the between 1 in 10 to 1 in a 100 unlucky patients who suffer side effect noticeable to the degree you are currently experiencing.  Commiserations.

The Drug Literature recommends,  not arising immediately upon waking.  So I guess that means staging it;  from prone to sitting for a minute and then slowly up. By then,  you'd be properly awake and adjusted.  Not desirable,  but at least you're not a heap on the floor.

Don't know if its been a long enough trial yet,  for your system to adjust and hopefully allow for things to improve?

It would seem only you can know whether going back to your GP this early,  talking it over and potentially being put back on something less effective ( which too will have its own side effects ),  is the preferable option.

My experience with it was and is chequered.  In me it causes primarily,  systemic body fluid retention ( oedema ),  which I resent.  But then when I abandon it and can hardly void,  it is my Dear Friend Tamsulin !

Good luck,

Dudley 

• Posted

Hi, I'm on Tamsulosin 400 same as yourself if you read the leaflet it say' that  one in ten people may experience dizziness ( the reason is because it lowers the blood pressure ) if this happens sit or lie down until it passes, you will get used to the medication after a few days when your body gets used the medication. after two weeks your Doctor can up the dosage to 800 if he thinks it is needed.

If you are still concerned after three or four days then talk it over with your Doctor.

I've been told that when Tamsulosin was used for BPH surgery was cut by 85%.

kind regards

Howard.

PS. I hope that helps.

• Posted

And destroyed users sex lifes and affected their eyes making any subsequent cataract surgery difficult.
    • Posted

derek if only people would read the information leaflet that is with the medication, It tells all about side effects and not taking certain medication if cataract surgery is involved Etc.. I think we are all grown up enough to make our own minds up what we put into our bodies, and we all know you don't get some thing in life for nothing ( every action will have a reaction ).

kind regards

Howard

• Posted

The nurse at the GP practice I go to says that the drug that is most complained about to her by men is Tamsulosin.
    • Posted

I to be honest when I first started to to them found them to give me such a better quality of life (I could go on long a  journey in the car without having to stop so often also a better stream ), it was only after a  DRM by the urologist (who was very rough) that they lost effect and it was at that time the pain and symptoms got worst.

I think that most men object to the retro egagulation ( which the chances they will have with some of the surgery that is on offer and certain meds.

meds effect people in different ways so it is up to the patient to see what suits them I think.

• Posted

Indeed you are right derek, our doctor can't be bothered to bring up records on the screen. ( he is too into his private work to take time with those on the NHS.

regards

Howard.

• Posted

The damage is often done before one realises.

When I was taking finasteride I started to grow breasts and stopped it. Later my GP prescribed Avodart. When I read up on it the leaflet said not to take it Finasteride had caused breast tenderness or breast growth.

Prior to my PVP  travel was worked out by how many toilets I would pass on the way. After my PVP I bought a 50 hour bus ticket and travelled around New Zealand for a month.

• Posted

dudley to derek76

To pee ,  or not to pee :  that is the question ~

• Posted

Or to take arms against a sea of dribbles and by TURP to  end them?

The question in Hamlets speech also relates to suicide that was part of the theme in another conversation.

• Posted

Dudley to Derek 

Whether 'tis more injurious for us to suffer

The side effects of Pharmaceutical profiteering

Or to take unproven balms against a pee of troubles

And by eschewing them to die

And end the balls-ache of a thousand cocks

• Posted

Dudley to Derek 

Whether 'tis more injurious for us to suffer

The side effects of Pharmaceutical profiteering

Or to take unproven balms against a pee of troubles

And by eschewing them to die

And end the balls-ache of a thousand cocks smile

• Posted

We have a rival to the Bard  or perhaps Cyril Fletcher :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.