BPH AND MY PERSONEL EXPERIENCE

Posted , 5 users are following.

4 months ago I had BPH. Took flomack a week later and it did its job but not as good as before.Side efecks with flomack with insaomia renograde ejackilation erections sometimes and low bloodpresure .Now flomack not as strong as before but still need it.I now take flomack in the morning but still have a hard time sleeping at night as when im on my back urine builds up quickley. I try to drink little at night and drink evenly in the morning to noon.There is allways a slight build up after I pee or if im lying down builds up faster.Anksousnes makes it worse.Foods and dairy producks,red meat from grain fed animals,poultry producks and prosesed meat.Ad salt and butter with asidicks like oranges tomatoes.Tomatoes are good for you as they have lyckopeen.

Now a lot of these foods make DHT acording to some web sites and ad to salt witch I need to higher my bloodpressure.The foods I can eat are mostley vegtables and fruit ,nuts.Drinks like pop or juice is not good and watter is the only thing I drink.Estrogen is in the foodss I can eat witch allso a studdy says estrigen can make the prostate grow loke DHT.Sergery a scary alternative but witch one is best.Has enyone have good advise on this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

We all have our favorite method, I had a holeup 34 months ago, it's still working and would do it again, but from what I've read on this site would a least consider some of the newer types of surgery as well. I hope you find the right thing for you!

• Posted

Hi,

I am scheduled for the holep procedure. Per my urologist a simple prostectomy is my only option because of the size of the prostate 158 gms. Could you describe how it went for you post-op?

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

Great question! Not sure if my experience was typical or not, but am happy to share. My surgery was about 3 pm, started waking up post op about 5, with no pain, never had pain in my prostate area. In order for them to do what they do you will have a larger catheter in you, that's really the only thing that caused me discomfort. Movement really didn't feel good, so I just laid real still, but it was not unbearable or anything like that. I tried to drink as much water as I could to flush out my bladder. Didn't sleep all that well during the night, it was just to loud, but used that time to praise the Lord that I was doing so well and kept drinking water. Mid morning they came in and disconnected my catheter and attached a funnel then poured in some saline to fill my bladder up, then pulled the catheter, good riddance and not painful at all, then waited to see if I could urinate said saline back out, once I did that was released and sent home. I had a pad in my underwear and stopped once to go to the bathroom, my surgery was about 1.5 hours from home. I passed bloody urine for a few days and clots off and on for what seemed like at least two weeks.

It will keep getting easier and easier to urinate, but you will have some discomfort for awhile because of that catheter. Night erections will be uncomfortable for about two weeks as well, just because it will take awhile to get your plumbing stretched back out, but again not unbearable. I never took any pain medications after my surgery. My bladder was not in great shape going into the surgery, because of my bph, so it took awhile to get it back, which is to say I was still getting up several times a night to go to the bathroom, but then one day realized that it was just once a night, praise the Lord!

My surgery was 34 months ago, would do it again in a nanosecond, I can urinate like a 20 year old again, no burning sensation, no dribbling, do have retrograde ejaculation, but that's okay, don't have to stop 2-3 times on a three hour car ride, etc. . My doctor told me that the surgery would not affect my sex life, that it would be the same as it was pre-surgery and that has proved to be true. No loss of sensation or satisfaction. I hope that helps and hope your surgery goes well!!

Take, care,

Doug

• Posted

What were u r symptoms before surgery ? Did u take medicines before surgery ?

• Posted

I had two bouts of UTIs, typical bph things: took forever to urinate, burning when I did go, frequent trips to the bathrooms, occasional inflamed prostate and higher psa counts. My Holeup surgery took care of all of that

• Posted

About medications, yes took the usual two that Doctors tell you to take and tried the usual over the counter stuff and pumpkin seeds. I'm no doctor, but my advice is save your money, cut out the wait and get it fixed via surgery sooner than waiting until later! I wish that I had it done three years sooner and that's no joke! Why wait?

• Posted

69 yr old - same history as you - 220ml size; deliberating what to do? With HOLEP done - can you do it again?

How long does it last?

and if down the road, can you do Simple P Surgery as a final fix?

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.