BPH - currently CIC STILL GET NATURAL URGE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi to you all! I came accross the site by accident, but I am SO glad that I did. My husband has BPH and recently went in to acute bladder retention. In the last 2 months he has gone from being permenantly catheterised to self catheterising. But my question to you is that he maintains that he still gets the 'urge' to go, but that it passes within a few minutes. When this happens should he immediately go and empty his bladder with the catheter, or should he just ignore it - as it soon passes and go when his next CIC clock based is due. Any replies would be most appreciated!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know that he should get a real treatment. He is risking an urinary infection and a bladder trabeculation.

• Posted

Hi 18R18. My husband got prostatitus at the beginning of July and was unable to pee at all. They kept him in A and E overnight and catheterised him, and since then we have been backwards and forwards to A and E virtually every day as the thing kept blocking. It was after several visits - each lasting several hours that me husband decided that he needed to learn to self catheterize - although he was not very keen at all! So since early July he has been anable to pee at all naturally. The hospital did try a couple of times to see if he could go if they removed the catheter - but he just kept drinking water and nothing happened only a lot of pain - so they re-catheterised him and sent us home. He says that when he gets the urge to go it is very strong but VERY shortlived - so by the time he gets to the bathroom, the urge has gone. We try every day to see if he can just do one or two drops naturally, but so far not a jot! I have very little faith in the urologist that we were under, as he was just hell bent on doing a prostate biopsy when PSA hit 5 and refused us a scan, unless we had a biopsy. But I thoght that a biopsy was too risky in terms of letting any possiblke cancer outside the prostate, but I might be wrong here? Our urologist almost insists that we have TURP - but I think that is because that is the only thing he is qualified to do. We are currently waiting to see a consultant wqho does urolift and HoLEP, but that is only on 2nd September - when he is back from holiday.

​xx

• Posted

Hi Deb, I recently had PAE procedure, after which I had a foley catheter for about 2 weeks. Then after finding this site  and learning about self-catheterization, I gave that a try. 

Having the urge is a good thing! What I was told here is to always try to naturally void first, then CIC. This helps prevent a lazy bladder. Your husband should try that. Also it's a good idea to keep track of how much he voids naturally and with the catheter. He should try to empty out more frequently, to help his bladder recover. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Why did you have the catheter? It normally is not required for PAE.

NEAL

• Posted

Hi Neal,

I had a Foley catheter because I was retaining so much urine. Right as the procedure was to start, they drained 2 liters out, and kept the Foley in. The Doctor told me I could remove it in a couple of days, but he was going out of town, and I felt more comfortable keeping it in until he returned.

• Posted

Okay. Thanks for the reply. It looks like it really had nothing to do with the PAE .

Neal

• Posted

You're right, but they still wanted me to start with an empty bladder. Ultrasound showed that I was full. The Foley was not fun at all.

• Posted

Hi Neal, my wife reminded my that the reason I had a Foley was because the Doctor knew I was having trouble voiding, and he expected that my prostate would become inflamed after the procedure, so he felt that was the best thing to do.
    • Posted

I am considering PAE or another new procedure, FLA, that I learned of on this site. It has been some time since you had the procedure and I wonder if you could describe your experience and recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Deb,

I have the same problem but my acute retention only happens from time to time. The rest of the time I can go normally (although with a slow stream). So I cartheterize myself only when needed. I suggest your husband catheterize when feeling the urge next time and record the output. That will give a good indication on whether he can just wait until the next scheduled voiding. Our need to void can depend on how much intake we have. But if the urge to void is very strong, I would not wait. Especially if he finds the output is high during those times. Say more than 300 ML. I'm not a doctor or health professional, for a better answer you can call his doctor. I hope this helps

John

• Posted

Hi John, thank you for replying to me! My husband got prostatitus at the beginning of July and was unable to pee at all. They kept him in A and E overnight and catheterised him, and since then we have been backwards and forwards to A and E virtually every day as the thing kept blocking. It was after several visits - each lasting several hours that me husband decided that he needed to learn to self catheterize - although he was not very keen at all! So since early July he has been anable to pee at all naturally. The hospital did try a couple of times to see if he could go if they removed the catheter - but he just kept drinking water and nothing happened only a lot of pain - so they re-catheterised him and sent us home. He says that when he gets the urge to go it is very strong but VERY shortlived - so by the time he gets to the bathroom, the urge has gone. We try every day to see if he can just do one or two drops naturally, but so far not a jot! I have very little faith in the urologist that we were under, as he was just hell bent on doing a prostate biopsy when PSA hit 5 and refused us a scan, unless we had a biopsy. But I thoght that a biopsy was too risky in terms of letting any possiblke cancer outside the prostate, but I might be wrong here? Our urologist almost insists that we have TURP - but I think that is because that is the only thing he is qualified to do. We are currently waiting to see a consultant wqho does urolift and HoLEP, but that is only on 2nd September - when he is back from holiday.?xx P.S. is 300ml a lot of urine? My husband seems to get the urge at about 150-200 ml - but in the early morning he has to get up around 5-6am to SIC where he voids approx 400-500ml. Once again thanks John for taking the time and trouble to reply to me. I can't wait for 2nd Sept!

• Posted

Hi John,

I tried your technique, but honestly there is really no way to know how much you're retaining. The only way I found out was by a an ultrasound. That showed that even though I had no urgency, I still had about 70% left in my bladder. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

I don't understand why nobody (my doctors) suggested self catheterization. Is there a way for you to really know how much you're really retaining?

• Posted

Hi Greg,

When I went for my ultra sound for urine retention, I drank so much water as to cause a bought of acute retention. I was unable to void  more than a few drops. So of course, the ultrasound showed I was retaining it all.

So what I did was to urinate normally at home when not having an attack. Then I would insert a chatheter to see how much was left in my bladder after voiding. In my case, it was very little if any.

Of course this would not work for Deb's husband who is unable to void at all without a catheter. In that case it would mean nothing.

John

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I find that when I have the normal urge to go, I will be at around 250 or 300. Occasionally 400. Your husband sounds pretty normal at 150 to 200 with 400 in the morning.

Good luck with the visit on the 2nd.

John

• Posted

Hi John - what a relief! I am so glad that at the moment somethings sounds pretty normal x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.