BPPV

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with BPPV by my neurologist - I also have MS.

I have had BPPV 5 times since 2010 and it has always been resolved by GP carrying out the Eppley manoeuvre on me - this time it has been unsuccessful, I am waiting for an appointment with ENT.

I am doing the Brandt Daroff exercises. I am on my second week of doing this.I read on this forum about "speeding" up these up in the exercises on the second week. What does this mean? Would be grateful for any other advice to help speed up my recovery from this disabling/annoying thing! I'd like my life back! I'm now 2 months in. I work as a Paramedic. Cheers.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

You mention you have had it 5 times is it just short spells ?

Can I also ask have you ever had problems with your eyes being out of focus ? Oh and also has any of the 5 times been as bad as the first time it happened ?

Thanks ( I am 8 weeks in but still a little bit to go I think )

• Posted

Hi - thanks for replying.

I've had it 5 times since 2010 lasting approx 2 weeks.

From what I remember the first few times it felt worse - but I thought that may be because i didn't understand what it was.

No problems with my eyes.

What is your diagnosis?

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

Really not sure what's up with me I was really bad to start with but now I seem to get these twists in my head but only lasts a few seconds also very spaced out feeling like what it would be like walking in space I suppose also a bit blurry vision had that for 8 or 9 weeks it's so annoying

• Posted

I would seek outa Neurotologist for a more accurate diagnosis. Sounds more like Ménière's versus BPPV based on the ongoing recurrence. No new MS lesions?
    • Posted

No new lesions. Had full Neuro exam done and neurologist informed me it was a peripheral and not central nervous system issue and advised me to have eppley done. She also said that the 5 times I've had it, it has always been BPPV. Perhaps I've got odd shaped labyrinths?

• Posted

I've had my vertigo for about 7 weeks. I've been doing the Elpay Maneuver every day. The intensity and frequency have definitely diminished. But every once in a while I get caught with a dizzy few seconds. It happened in the shower and when I was getting out of a taxi. I'm still waiting for end of month ENT appointment. I have a feeling (and hope) that it's going to fade out--I just don't know when. But at least I don't have to stay indoors all day.  I also tried the Daroff maneuver and there's a third one where yhou put your head on the floor. I went back to the Elpay, because my physical therapist *who taught me the Elpay) said he thought it the best, though even in its case, people execute it in all different ways. The net too said the Elpay was best, but if it's not working for you, it's smart to try a different one. This is definitely a big pain. And even if it's BPPv or VN, it's the same symptoms. Unless, of course, the dr. gives pills, blockers, etc. All I take occasionally if I'm nauseous is Meclazine (Antivert, I think), but I don't take it that seriously, because it doesn't cure it just helps momentarily. Of course if this goes on and on, I may start taking it regularly. Originally my GP recommended Lorazepam too. Since I think it's the same as valium (diazepam) which I have, I didn't get it. I use a valium or one-half of one to help me sleep.
    • Posted

Hi Marion

Can I ask what happens in the few seconds of dizziness ? I get this but mines is a twisting sensations in my brain

• Posted

Since your doctor has been able to help you in the past with the Epley, your diagnoses sounds accurate. Most people with this form of bppv find the epley very helpful. However, not everyone experiences bppv the exact same way. For example, since you have MS that may cause you to experience vertigo differently and need to be treated differently. Has your doctor ever mentioned whether your MS could bring on vertigo episodes in the past?  Also could it be possible it's just taking longer to dislodge ear crystals causing your dizziness? Ménière's is also a possibly since bppv is often linked with it as well, but I would talk to your doctor before jumping to far on this idea. Proper diagnoses is always best in finding the right treatment. Hopefully this is just a longer episode of vertigo that will soon past for your sake.  Talk to your doctor if you’re concerned this case may be different then in the past. My only other suggestion to check out simblance pillows. I have found it very helpfully with vertigo. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.