Brain zaps but still on citalopram! Anyone else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm looking for advice. Iv been back on citalopram for the past 12 weeks (3 weeks at 10mg and 9 weeks at 20mg) around 2 weeks on 10mg I noticed I was getting the odd "brain zap" like a very quick (less than a second) electric kind of throb/shock. Iv had these before when Iv missed some doses or been withdrawing.

Anyway they went away and a few weeks ago while on 20mg I noticed I was getting the odd few on a morning right as I woke up, again they went after about 4 days. Now again today Iv been getting them and had quite a few. They are not painful but I can't understand why I'm getting them when Iv not missed a dose?

Anyone else had this? X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've had them after being on the same dose for a year I wouldnt worry about it.

• Posted

Me too.. had them back in 2013. And on my second time at 8 weeks in on 20 mg am getting them again now and then 

i find them reassuring in a way in that I imagine it's my receptors rechanelling themselves through my brain rewiriing me! I feel so much better too. 

• Posted

Hi Gillian. Is this your second time on citalopram? How long have you been back on them? They seemed to have settled again the last few days (the zaps)

Iv been on 20mg for 9 & 1/2 weeks now and Iv been very up and down! From feeling great to crashing pretty badly. It's settled again and the past few days Iv been feeling slightly better although mornings are still pretty bad. I'm still not myself though and now I'm fearing another bad day. I cry a lot too.

Glad to hear your doing better. Do u take it for anxiety?

• Posted

Had the brain zaps when I tried to wean off medication. Very strange sensation that my Doctor does not understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.