Breath test for stomach infection

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

Has anyone ever had the breath test done to see if there is H something or another infection in your stomach?  I've had awful reflux the last 2 months, which made things very difficult to swallow.  GP doubled my Omeprazole and gave me liquid Gaviscon and things settle down 100%. I then went back to single dose of Omperazole and started swallowing probs again.  Can swallow just feels like a tightness and soreness in my throat.  Her plan of action is this breath test and have been off Omeprazole for last week almost.  Desperate to take them again!  Not sure what this will proove but anything is better than the dratted camera dowm my throat!  Any advice will be so gratefully received.  (GP says to leave omeprazole off for at least a week, tabs info say a fortnight - dont think I can stand it much more!)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just because you have this problem does not mean you have the infectin. The infection is easily solved with the right two antibiotics etc anyway,only takes a week. As for the dratted camera down your throat I am waiting to go to have that done and was nervous about it!. You need to start to take control of your health instead of wanting the medication and doctors and surgeons to do it all.

Best way to do this is to do some changes that help with these prblems. If your problem is caused by diet they cannot help anyway, they just fiddle.

• Posted

Camera isnt that bad but I didnt have any sedative which I will have next time.  Beauty of the camera is that they can tell you there and then like they did with mine 7 years ago.  As for taking control of my health and not wanting the doctors or surgeons to "do it all"  believe me I am trying my utmost but find it very hard to do without acid repressing meds at the moment.  I avoid triggers ie alcohol, spices, tomatoes, citrus things and have even got my own veg patch this year in af effort to eat more healthily
  • Posted

lots of helpful information on diet to help with acid reflux on the discussion by violetOblivia " Feeling hopeless about acid reflux. What next?"

also exercise has helped me very much with my gerd

• Posted

I am trying to exercise more too. Just doing the housework, more of it and more vigorously. And when you walk always walk quickly with purpose.
    • Posted

Thank you ever so much for that, will go and look that thread up.  Have to say I have been for a bike ride this afternoon, bit of cycling and a little walking over 3 miles and feel better.  I wouldn't have gone voluntarily but my other half encouraged me and it's really done me good.  It's lovely to "talk" to this in the same position as ourselves.   Does make you wonder why we get these funny things going on though.
    • Posted

Will keep that in mind.  Always lots of housework so will up that a bit too.  Many thanks
    • Posted

i am really glad that you found that yr exercise regime worked. i read somewhere that exercise alkalises one. i have been doing a strict diet and that was helpful but did not give me absolute relief but when i started a regular (i exercise 7 days a week) regime of exercises i saw a marked improvement.

do keep it up and let me know how it goes. i am wondering if it is just a coincidence or does exercise help that much.

all the best

• Posted

i think yu might have to up the exercise till yu feel an improvement in your symptoms. 

my own experience was that i only noticed an improvement in my acid reflux after i increased my exercises considerably. prior to that my previous workouts did not help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.