Breathing monitor for adults

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

I'm in urgent need of a device that can monitor my breathing and vibrate/alert me during an apnea or hypopnea episode. I stop breathing throughout the day and night because of severe PTSD. It is so extreme that my oxygen levels can sometimes go down into the 80's. I was diagnosed with a severe, complex sleep apnea and currently sleep on a non-invasive ventilator (BiPAP IVAPS machine), but my doctor can't help me with apneas during the day. The only way I can counter it is through constant conscious breathing, just breathing manually for as long as I can. This is not like a typical anxiety symptom that most people experience. It has caused a massive damage to my health. The only apnea monitors I've found are for sleeping infants, while the only alternative I can think of is a portable pulse oximeter that vibrates when my oxygen levels go down.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Nick

Sorry you have such a worrisome problem, I also have CPTSD but do not have the severe symptoms you have as regards breathing, my lung problems stem from my old job.

The portable hospital type pulse oximeter is the only thing I can think of too, I have something similar, mine sqeaks and flashes when levels too low, as even on oxygen when I move about doing every day things, I can go as low as 79 or lower, lowest 49, and need to be reminded to stop still and breathe deeply before I pass out. There are loads of examples on the Internet, not cheap though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.