Breathlessness, heart pain, feeling like dying on Citalopram 10mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today marks 3 weeks that I've taken 10mg of Citalopram. I was on 20mg for a year and a half until this summer and weaned off but stressful life situations have been causing debilitating panic attacks and heavy chest and breathlessness. This has not improved with the Citalopram and it's done strange things to my heart rate (my resting is about 5 bpm higher than it used to be). Is this normal and do I just need to wait longer? I have had to take a small dose of xanax at least once a day in order to live life. Help 😦

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It takes much longer than 3 weeks for Citalopram to work, and often even longer second time around I'm afraid. My first time it took 6 months and second time about 8 months. You might still be having start up symptoms as the meds always heightens anxiety to start with - but always best to let your doctor know.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you....it sucks but that makes me feel a bit better. I seem to remember it starting to work by now the first time around but if it takes longer then that's what i am stuck with.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yes it can take longer for most people though some are lucky and it works same as before. I also had a totally different experience second time around where I was totally flat, depressed for many months compared to the first time when I was anxious.

How are things going now?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, yes that's correct. I am still having strange breathlessness and feel like i am being weighted down by my chest at certain times of day. i have a generally higher heart rate than i used to and the last couple of days i have felt some vertigo. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow - i am guessing this is all normal but want to be sure. i really hope it doesn't take six months, that is so much life wasted feeling horrible and not really living 😦

Report Reply
    • Posted

Restarting meds will raise your anxiety levels for a while (oh joy) .... 😐 and often people become alarmed at this which then causes them to feel even more anxious (hence the heart rate). No doubt your doctor will allay your fears with a thorough check up and assure all is ok.

I doubt it'll take 6 months as everyone is so different. Just that generally is does take a bit longer.

Yes is a waste of life waiting and feeling like that ..... but its so worth it in the end. Looking back 6 months wasn't that long really compared to being for 16 years, and again 8 months second time around ..... especially as I've had years of feeling well now. If you broke your leg it would take months to heal and we wouldn't think it a waste of time as we'd just get on with our day.

But it'll turn out all ok in the end for you I'm sure xx

Report Reply
  • Posted

hey I suffered from panic attacks and breathlessness.. I started taking celexa and the first few weeks are brutal with symptoms changing day by day. I pushed through and it went away little by little. I had heart palpitations, heightened anxiety. I haven't had a panic attack in months, I have blips of anxiety for a day or two but they are manageable and go away. just push through you are fine. No worries, just tell yourself it will pass.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up