Bright red blood - iron deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 33 year old male here. In recent blood tests we have found my levels to be low, so have had iron infusion and also put on the farro-grad C tablets (which is stopped because of the stomach cramps) I also have graves disease. My recent blood test showed my serum ferritin to be <8 and my haemoglobin to be 135 (in normal range) doc is sending me off to do a colonoscopy...

but I do have an internal hemorrhoid that protuds during bowel movement and bleeds a fair bit (bright red blood) enough to spray the bowl and enough to be on the toilet paper... this is pretty constant although no change in bowel movement or colour, I'm pretty regular. .. along with the bad diet of not getting enough iron out of the foods I eat. No history of any bowel disease in the family.

the colonoscopy worries me, doctor was adamant that I have it done.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi , good of your doctor !! He wants to make sure you are ok , has any recommendations been made of hemorrhoid to be removed ! Has your vitamin D levels been checked ? If so what were your levels ?

• Posted

hemmorrhoid needs to removed, it's been an issue for over a year...

vitamin d was low

• Posted

I understand your worries with the colonoscopy, I've had two in the past 5 years, plus a Sigmoidoscopy, because of rectal bleeding, and I have to say that I never want another one as long as I live. It's not a nice experience, but the pros do outweigh the cons significantly, I've had polyps removed, biopsies taken, all tested and found to be benign and free from scarring, which both rule out Cancer and Ulcerative Colitis. It was confirmed the cause of my bleeding was internal hemorrhoids, other than that everything looked very healthy so the doctor said, hence why I probably won't have another for the rest of my life.

The worst part by far is the bowel prep, it's not a pleasant experience at all and can leave you feeling quite ill and drained. The Colonoscopy itself isn't too bad, as long as you opt for sedative and pain relief, I can imagine it's a much worse experience without them. Unfortunately it is the only way to be certain to diagnose certain conditions, and even though you feel the red blood is hemorrhoids, it could be something else, best thing is to have it done to be 100% sure. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but if I can go through with it, anyone can, I'm the biggest wet blanket when it comes to surgical and medical procedures. Good luck and all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.