Bringing along a "Distraction/Care Pack" when out

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get anxious when I go out especially in cars and malls. It can lead to surges of intense fear when I am in those situations especially when I'm alone with no one I know. So I usually pack things in my bag that can distract me during the car rides and when I feel the surge of intense fear coming or to help me get through it.

I always bring my ipad to play distracting games on and also a book or some snacks and my phone. I want to let go of bringing along my ipad during trips outside but find my self thinking the worst. Is this a counterproductive thing to do? Because I'm trying to feel comfortable being out and about and being able to deal with surges of fear but I'm also bringing stuff to distract me and finding it hard to part with them.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I know what you are going through.

I think at the moment if it helps you don't be too hard on your self.

What you are doing is finding coping mechanisms and it's good, you are also trying to fight it by trying not to bring those things with you.

Just remember baby steps, start slowly, for example take those items with you, and try not to use them as much. But to be honest so many people who are not suffering like you do get anxiety when then don't have there phone on them.

The world has progressed so much in technology that our brains are not made for it.

Try maybe distract your self with things around you, like nature and people perhaps.

Let me know how u get on.

Xx

• Posted

Hello, thanks for the reply. Today I went on a car ride and startes hyperventilating so I listened to some music and tried to regulate my breathing but I didn't play any games on my ipad. I just concentrated on breathing and riding it out. Took about 20 - 30 min but I was fine after that. Felt a bit exhausted and feeling anxious at the back of my mind. 😊

• Posted

Computers. Ipods cause stress by stimulating the adrenal glands thus  adrenaline is produced , it is a vicious circle.

​To break this visious circle reduvce the number of hours spent  on the Ipod especially when playing games which cause even more stress.

​Distract yourself using other techniques. Colouring in books for adults is said to be very relxing. Breathing exercises , listening to calming music, exercise can all reduce stress hormones.

• Posted

You should proud to see you are coping. Using Your Ipad is not A bad thing. At least your fidning a coping Mechanism to be able to leave the house when you use the Ipad. I agree with @lattifa7777 Don't be so hard on yourself. Once your anxiety Fades and Lessons So will the Need for Your Ipad.(: 

Best Of Luck

Update Progress.!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I brought my ipad with me but I left it in my handbag. When I was in the car I was reading about anxiety symptoms online and I read about hyperventilation, and guess what, I started hyperventilating. *face palm* That then triggered me to panic and think thoughts like "what if I stop breathing", "what if I continue to find it hard to breathe properly" etc.

I put my earphones in and listened to some music but I didn't take out my ipad to play games. Instead I focused on trying to hold my breath in for longer and slow down my breathing. Looked out the window. Took a while but after I distracted my mind I was ok.

• Posted

It's not bad carrying such things with you. Most people take their ipod with them and they do not suffer from anxiety. I always have a bottle of water with me,Xanax (not that I use them, just in case),a bag in case I feel like throwing up(pathetic but Im always scared I'm gonna throw up while out) and my headphones. Don't judge yourself for carrying things that make you feel comfortable and safe,it seems like you've made some good progress and I'm proud of you! Keep going! Best of luck! Keep us informed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.