Broke Ankle On Feb 26, Still Swollen

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 19 years old and I broke my left ankle on February 26, and it is still swollen. This is what my Xray said when I broke it: "Mildly displaced comminuted fractures of the left ankle medial and posterior malleoli with significant soft tissue swelling." The swelling has gone down since I started walking with regualr shoes and got the walking boot removed on June 8. However, it's still swollen on my lateral and medial ankle sides. Also, I just do exercises for my ankle at home, I was given a paper with the exercises to do from my Podiatrist. I can rotate it, do inversion, eversion, plantar flexion, and dorsiflexion almost equally as my non injured ankle. 

When I wake up in the morning it's not swollen, but as I walk around it gets a little swollen and then by the end of the day it's just really huge and swollen. How long does the swelling last?  I have no pain when walking, but by the end of the day the bottom of my foot near the arch and heel are sore. How long has swelling lasted for you guys? Do you still have some discoloration(darker skin color near the ankle)?  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Also, I forgot to mention. I didn't get surgery and was only given a plaster cast. My ankle healed without the need for screws or surgery. 

• Posted

I agree with MagMarker's advice re. your swelling. I don't have much swelling any more, just a tiny bit still and my surgery was on Feb. 16th for a trimalleolar break with screws and a plate. Everyone is different. It sounds like you may be on it too long each day if you are still getting a lot of swelling. Sometimes when people go back to work too soon, and have very physical jobs where they are on there feet all day long without breaks when needed, I think it can put a lot of pressure on the ankle and their swelling and thus healing doesn't happen as fast due to over exertion, but that is just my guess. 

• Posted

Patti-Thank you for the advice. I elevate every day, but I don't ice it as much. I'm  going to try icing it more often. 

• Posted

It Sounds like you need to ice it and elevate it in the evening if you're on it all day. In my experience, because its a weight bearing point it's always going to get abuse, just from walking. I would try to stay off of it as much as I could and maybe walk with a cane. Some people stick to the aircast for a while or compression band or sleeve. See what works for you. But I definitely recommend icing and elevating in the evening before bed.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to ice every day when I elevate now. I'm also going to use a compression sock. 

• Posted

Hi, I broke my ankle 17th April and did not need surgery, was in a half cast for about week and half then moon boot NWB for 7 weeks. Like you it was so swollen and I found it incredibly difficult to walk on. I still limp now but the swelling has decreased. Try not to stay on your feet for so long. I think that pain in the heel is muscle and tendon pain that requires physio and I am told the pain will settle, however some days I wonder. I also had dark discolouration in the side of my ankle,but eventually faded. It took a few weeks though. So dont worry. I am glad to hear you dont have pain, I still have pain down one side of my ankle, sometimes quite bad, I am beginning to worry and think I need it x-rayed. I wish you well. Rest your foot through the day making sure you elevate it. 
    • Posted

Jillian- For the pain in your heal, try freezing a water bottle and rolling it under your foot. Also do calf stretches throughout the day. I had this and it did go away. Firework pain happens for months, from my experience, after you get out of the boot. Tituscanby used to describe the pain as a moving target, and that is how it was for me too. I am two months ahead of you with a triple break and surgery with a plate and screws and feeling really good. Hang on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.