Broken Ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was getting out of my van and stepped directly into a pothole. I broke my right ankle, and tore 2 ligaments in my left. Just found out I need reconstructive surgery on my left, and a bone stimulator is being delivered to help my right one heal. It's been 9 weeks. I'm in terrible pain today, a ton of swelling

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your accident.  Hopefully, you'll find support in these discussions.  I'm 6 weeks out from crushing my right ankle.  Here are few things that helped me.  First, find supportive people that can caregive.  Be willing to ask for help and be gracious upon receiving.  Second, be nurturing and caring for yourself.  Eat nutritious and healthy food for healing.  Keep your ankle/s elevated and ice.  Minimize sources of unhealthy input....food, violent tv, toxic people etc.  Search for you tube meditations that include healing.  Some will seem right others not, pick and choose.  Breathe deep when you can and release expectation.  Know, this is a process, going to take some time and give up control and accept your situation as it is NOW, it will pass.  This will all help you manage pain and minimize dependency on narcotics.  It's a practice, start a little a day and in a couple weeks you'll find more stability and comfort on every level.  There is no quick fix.  Trust me, practice this and you will benefit.  Peace
  • Posted

Is your GP going to mend your broken ankle and then refer you to Hosptal re Consultant opinion for mending. Maybe a MRI scan shows torn ligaments.

Accident and Emergency good also. You obviously need pain relief meds such as codeine with GP checks also.

England and maybe UK has Junior Doctor's general strike next Tuesday and Wednesday please check hours first.

Kind wishes

Sue

• Posted

Ugh! Two hurt ankles. Hang in there! So sorry about your pain and 9 weeks out too! Which is hurting more, the ligaments or the fracture? How do you get around....wheel chair? Hopefully the bone stimulator helps!
  • Posted

I am so sorry. Can't imagine two ankles. Make sure that when you elevate you are elevating above your heart. Hope you are better soon.
    • Posted

Hey Lee Lee- How are you doing now? Hope all is well. 
    • Posted

Thanks for asking Patti. I have been having a pretty rough time. More depression and frustration than anything else.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that! I was worried we hadn't heard from you lately. Maybe you need to watch a funny comedy flick this weekend to cheer you up? Or eat an ice cream sundae for the added calcium? Just want you to know we are thinking about you!  Hang in there. smile
    • Posted

I might just do both lol. I will be OK. It has just been so long, with no end in sight. I go to PT then my RSD flares up. When I get the RSD to calm down, then it is time to go back to PT. Horrible cycle.
    • Posted

But does it get just a little easier every time or still harder each time? Can you use things like chilled aloe vera on your leg or is that a no-no? It just feels so relieving to me when I do it. I just got the okay to do PT myself, starting Monday. I found an akle rehabilitation video on you tube video and am doing some exercises today on my own. I think you can find it if you type " You tube Best Ankle Rehabilitation Exercises For Those Recovering From Ankle Injury Well Ki Flex Well" . Even if you just watch it, the guy in it is cute, and that might lift your spirits! smile You need to do some things this weekend that are fun. Listen to a happy song, go outside if it is a nice day, be with someone who makes you laugh, take a warm bath if you can, do something different and uplifting for you. 
    • Posted

I wish I could say it is getting easier, but right now it isn't. I am determined to do it. I know that the only way I am going to get better is PT, so I am just trying to be strong and get it done. Ice is out, aloe gel is fine and it helps with the burning. I will check out the video.

Our weather is suppose to be nasty all weekend, but I will find something. Maybe rent a movie, order a pizza, then eat a pint of ice cream. Hey, that sounds pretty good. Want to join me?

• Posted

I broke my ankle last may and it is still hurting does anyone know what I can do to get back to 100%

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.