Broken ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I get my cast off Tuesday after having it on for 4 weeks and completely non weight bearing. I've been wondering how long should I expect until I'm able to walk 100% again?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was 6 weeks in cast, My doctor said I should walk in two weeks, I was unable to walk for the first week but second week I walked, It looks like early movement after opening the cast is critical and important, But as doc said it’s better to first start walking with two crutches, then make it one, and then no crutches. If two weeks is 14 days, so 5 days with two crutches, then 5 days with one, and the last 4 days you should try to walk normally.

And about walk 100% again, I’m in week 13 and yet have pains; I don’t know if ever I will be able to walk 100% again, I wish it...

• Posted

Thank you. I really hope I'm able to walk after a few weeks. Haven't been able to work since July due to my injury I'm just ready to live life again.

• Posted

100% does come

but not for about 12-18 months even two years before being on your ankle all day does not cause swelling.

Before you groan, the progress is steady and once most of the pain is gone, you may not notice the swelling as much. Consider day one as compared to day 20. So stop comparing yesterday to today rather comparing last week to today.

Just be kind to yourself and your ankle. It has to carry your full weight.

• Posted

That's very good advice....compare week by week then you will see the improvement. I'm now week 13 after bad break to left ankle which now has a tightrope and screws holding it together. Week  2 cast off, stitches out and into Aircast boot for 4 more weeks NWB. Then slowly adding weight and using boot less and less. Now full weight bearing and walking without crutches around the house. It hurts and I'm not speedy, but I'm getting there. Use one crutch or both when out, depending where I'm going, mostly as a security blanket. Must add I'm 72, but fit and determined. Physio has been useful but find internet just as helpful. Exercises are common sense and must be done. The more you move it the better it will be. Good luck. Oh, and yes, it does swell every evening. I put an ice pack on it each evening and its fine in the morning. Good luck and stay cheerful, its only temporary! 

• Posted

I had a splint for 2 weeks a cast for 4 weeks and a boot for 4 weeks.  With the boot I was very limited weight bearing.  Started PT after the boot and that makes things progress more rapidly.  At 5 months walking was very good and started playing golf several days a week again.  Now at 9 months it no longer stiffens with inactivity but there is a small amount of swelling and that is expected to continue for a year or more.  Be diligent about your PT and at some point you'll only think about your ankle a few times a day!!  My ankle was dislocated with 3 breaks.  I have a plate and 7 screws and am 70.  I used a knee scooter for 10 weeks and it was  godsend.  Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

yeah what Ihavenonickname and Carol said. I was 12 weeks to walking without crutches or boot. I used a cane for a little while just to keep the extra pressure off of my 'old' knees. I am at 11 months from initial break right now and I get around pretty darn good. I was just writing out my Christmas card letter and remembering it all... from a wheelchair to just get to the bathroom, to boot and crutches..( I thought I was great then!) and to where now I can drive and walk into a store and shop. I takes time and you working and exercising that ankle/foot.  But it does get better every day.. keep the faith. Mine still hurts with this yucky weather and over doing it but nothing like what it was from the beginning.  Good luck tommorow... just getting that cast off is blissful.

• Posted

I'll let you guys know how everything goes with my recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.