Broken ankle and boot rubbing on my rod and screws

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broken my ankle 2 weeks ago and today was fitted for a boot.

I had 3 cast changes cuz I kept thinking that the cast was loosing from the swelling going down. Every cast change was the same. Fine for the first day then my cast would rub again my incision/screws rod on outer ankle. I though when I got a boot put on my troubles would be over. Well been in a boot alll day and same thing. Feels like it is pushing againt my ankle/rod, if I move my leg slightly in the boot I can find a somewhat better position. How am I supposed to deal with this for 6 plus weeks. Anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam I had the same thing happen I got a price of a gel like pad from my physical therapist I placed it over the area and held it place with a sock. However that screw kept protruding and causing pain and finally had to get it removed a year later I actually could see it through my skin I hope you get better I know your pain
  • Posted

Yes.  Understand what you're sayng.    I have five different casts in two weeks, then was fitted with an air-walker.   I found this very uncomfortable at first. as the internal tubes which carry the air to the ankle rubbed across my inner ankle scar.

So, firstly we tried pushing cosmetic cottonwool pads down inside my sock in the appropriate place.  This worked to a very small degree but not enough.   Then ..

My husband took the inner liner of the boot out, turned it inside out and re-fitted it into the book, this put the internal air tubes on to the outer side of the ankle and while I had an 8" scar and screws on this side too it didn't seem to be so uncomfortable.   But of course, this means you don't have the air bubble in the correct place but this hardly matters if the boot is more comfortable.   This worked for me for the following weeks until I decided to turn the inner liner back into the correct positon and I found the inner scar unaffected by the air tubes.  The following week the boot was removed in any event.

I only wore the boot when I needed to walk.  Most of the time I was able to remove it and elevate my leg and I certainly didn't wear it in bed.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Pam

I had my cast off on Wednesday. Was in cast almost 7 weeks . I too went back a few times with that same feeling. The second time I explained the feeling and although there was no sign on the skin it was rubbing the lovely people at the plaster room said they would put extra padding around my wounds from the op. why don't you have a word and tell them i had the same thing.

I felt like it was scratching on the plaster. And was so much worse at night

Hope you get I sorted, don't suffer in silence

Mandy x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, are you now in a boot? How do you sleep in it, if you are? 
  • Posted

Hi. I had the same issue in my cast and in my boot at the beginning. I never knew if it was the ankle, the scar, or the pins or some combination. In the cast it was very uncomfortable, and mostly at the end of the day. When I first moved to the boot I was disappointed to find that I had the same issue, but after a week it started to get better and now it rarely bothers me. I think, in my case, as things healed the issue went away. I wondered if as the swelling went down the place they molded in the cast for my ankle bone shifted and then caused the discomfort. It felt like my ankle was moving around in the cast and sometimes the wound felt like it was rubbing on some part of the cast it shouldn't have been. I'm 6 weeks in the boot now and no longer having the issue. I hope it gets better for you as it heals. Btw, after my surgery, I was in a splint for 3 weeks (2 different splints), a cast for 3 weeks, and the boot for 6 weeks. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Thx for the reply, did you sleep in the boot or were you bearing weight at this time? 
  • Posted

I had the same problem as I had a plate n screws had cast on 7 weeks went back 1 week early

Had stitches removed n nurse let slip I maybe get a boot instead of another cast I asked doc he wasn't very forth coming but had me do couple of exercises and a promise I would keep them up then he gave me a robo cop boot I put my protective sock in and just wore boot if went out none weight bearing but just use heal for balance

I sat most of time no boot but its not advisable as I did slip once I was very lucky it was more comfortable than a cast though you will get there try to rest I also used to keep it elevated when in house good luck regards dawn

• Posted

I had the same problem as I had a plate n screws had cast on

7 weeks went back 1 week early

Had stitches removed n nurse let slip I maybe get a boot

instead of another cast I asked doc he wasn't very forth

coming but had me do couple of exercises and a promise

I would keep them up then he gave me a robo cop boot

I put my protective sock in and just wore boot if went out

none weight bearing but just use heal for balance

I sat most of time no boot but its not advisable as

I did slip once I was very lucky it was more comfortable

than a cast though you will get there try to rest I

also used to keep it elevated when in house good

luck regards dawn

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone for your replies, it's reasurring knowing it might get better. Another question please, did anyone ever have a hard time with the boot fitting properly? I am only day one with this boot but feel so helpless cuz I can't seem to get my heel into the corner right, know what I mean? I feel like I want to knda push my heel in the corner tight but obviously I can't do this cuz I'm non weight bearing. So it feels like my heel/foot is not flat in the boot., then I hop up and it feels like the boot slides. down..anyone? Ugh I can't believe I have 4 more weeks none weight bearing sad

• Posted

Pam - I know exactly what you're feeling.   I had surgery and was non-weight bearing for many weeks.    When the boot is new, I think like new shoes it's most likely tight fitting.      Sit on your bed or chair and have the boot someway in front of you and slide your injured leg down into it with your heel absolutely at the back of the boot.   Eventually, your heel will make contact with the inner foot area of the boot and then just push your leg down very gently.  You'll know exactly when you've touched base !!

You'll find I think that the boot will loosen slightly the more you wear it and putting it on will become much easier.   

Keep persevering, it will work.    

• Posted

Thanks for the reply pauline, I am having a hard time now keeping my heel down. I feel like it's proper when I'm first into it then my heel kinda slides up and then it becomes too tight on the top of the boot! Not sure if I'm not putting enough air in? Did you have one you pump air into? I pump till I feel tightness so I don't know! And also, how did you sleep in yours? My first night last night was horrible 😥

• Posted

My doctors PA gave me a couple of  heel shaped foam pieces (pretty thin)to put in the heel of the boot, since my foot wasn't going to go flat in it after only 10 days from surgery, when I got my boot. That really helped get my heel flat on something. I have taken them out after a couple weeks and my heel now goes flat.

• Posted

Sorry, Pam-I wish I could help you but I didn't reqiure sugery(thank goodness). One thing I have learned so far is this is going to take much longer to totally recover fom than what I thought. It's going to take a lot of patience on my part. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen -     You're right.   I'm now exactly three months on from my surgery and am happily making good progress.   I'm walking and going up and down the staircase normally now and am feeling that my life is getting back to some form of normality.    But .... I've been told that it will take another three months at the very least for the ankle to be pain free.    The setting of the bones I understand is not the problem, it's the legaments and tendons which have been torn and damaged which take the time to mend.

At least we are mending !!

• Posted

I have heard this as well....i have a long road ahead of me sad

• Posted

Agree Pauline-if we are moving forward, even if it is slow-I am thankful. I have increased my exercises a bit and am hoping that will help reduce the swelling. Will just keep plugging away. You hang in there, too.
    • Posted

Hi Pam-I've been at this since May and improvement is slow indeed. Patience is difficult. Keep the faith!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.